Ruby Marketing Gimmick

Devin Mullins

This morning (in that hazy fog of half-awakeness when I'm yet unable to
focus on anything of real import), I came up with what seemed to me like
a decent "theme" by which to market Ruby. This was mostly a response to
complaints I've heard from Javaers that Ruby code is obfuscated:

--Ruby: Bad As You Wanna Be--

For example, on the ruby-lang site, put this on the top-right corner:

class Greeter
def initialize(name)
@name = name.capitalize()
end

def salute
puts "Hello, #{@name}!"
end
end

def greet
your_name = Readline.readline("What is your name? ")

g = Greeter.new(your_name)
g.salute()
end

greet()

and put this on the top-left:

puts %Q{Hello, #{Readline.readline "What is your name? "}!}

Do up the whole site with battling 'devil' and 'angel' themes (i.e.
border the <div> boxes with wings or horns). The color scheme probably
wouldn't be a far hop from the red, white, and blue of the current
redesign (http://redhanded.hobix.com/redesign2005/).

Okay, maybe a *little* over the top for the whole ruby-lang site, but
possibly deserving of one page. :)

After all, Ruby's supposed to be the "fun" language, right?

What? That's a horrible idea? Fine. What's /your/ fantastic marketing
idea, jerk?

Devin

James Britt

Devin said:
This morning (in that hazy fog of half-awakeness when I'm yet unable to
focus on anything of real import), I came up with what seemed to me like
a decent "theme" by which to market Ruby. This was mostly a response to
complaints I've heard from Javaers that Ruby code is obfuscated:

See, I would think that spitting up coffee and laughing until I nearly
wet myself would be the correct response.
What? That's a horrible idea? Fine. What's /your/ fantastic marketing
idea, jerk?

RubyStuff! The premiere shop for Ruby apparel and, well, stuff!

From http://www.rubystuff.com/about.html

"The buzz on the 'Net is that RubyStuff is the Ruby stuff shop of choice
for developers of Web 2.0. And wearing a T-shirt from RubyStuff, or
drinking an ordinary beverage from a RubyStuff mug, will make you *11*
times more productive. Really."

James

Devin Mullins

Joel said:
Seriously, though, I wasn't sure which of the two code snippets was
devilish and which was angelic?

Point. Bad example. I need sleep. :)

Devin