Ruby Newbie looking for advice ...

Meisenzahl, Christopher1

I've tinkered w/ Ruby a bit in the past (maybe 1-2 years ago) and even
bought the Thomas/Hunt Programming Ruby book at the time.

Unfortunately I never quite picked it up well. I want to use it for text
processing and report creation, things that many would use Perl for. I
would also like to use it to manipulate IE for some testing and
automation tasks. I'm using Ruby on Windows and perhaps my OS X Tiger
iBook. Using Ruby revision 182-15 at the moment if that makes any sense.

1.
In addition to going back to the Thomas/Hunt book, can you recommend a
good Ruby tutorial?

2.
Where can I find the latest revision of the Ruby FAQ? I'd like to read
that completely before going much farther.

3.
Anything else I should be sure to check out?

Thanks very much in advance!

Chris

Christopher J. Meisenzahl CSTE
Sr. Automation Engineer
The Student Loan Corporation
(e-mail address removed)

is for the designated recipient only and may contain confidential and
distribution is prohibited. If you have received it in error, please
notify the sender immediately and delete the original.

James Britt

http://www.ruby-doc.org/gettingstarted/

http://www.rubygarden.org/faq/main/

3.
Anything else I should be sure to check out?

http://www.ruby-doc.org/

Poke around.

James

Michael Vondung

In addition to going back to the Thomas/Hunt book, can you recommend a
good Ruby tutorial?

A bit dated by now, but "Teach Yourself Ruby in 21 Days" by Mark Slagell is
pretty good. It may be "too basic" for you, though I found it helpful (but
I don't have any solid background in programming). When you're through with
this book, there's Hal Fulton's "The Ruby Way". Both were published by
Sams.

M.