Ruby Newcomer

Kefan Xie

Just recently installed Ruby for the purpose of developing extensions
for SpiceWorks. However, this is my first ever experience with Ruby
since its update to its new form (last time touched was at least 3 years
ago when there's no such thing as Webrick server). What I had noticed
was, when I start the Webrick server, if I generate a new controller, I
would receive a routing error until I restart the Webrick server. So
that means for every test of modification I would need to restart the
Webrick server, is that true? If it is, it would seem to be very
tedious. Thanks.

UPDATE: Something I found really odd is that without restarting server,
the new controller would only take effect after a while. Maybe I have
done something during this time, but I don't know. Does anyone what's
the possible problem?

brabuhr

Just recently installed Ruby for the purpose of developing extensions
for SpiceWorks. However, this is my first ever experience with Ruby
since its update to its new form (last time touched was at least 3 years
ago when there's no such thing as Webrick server).

Webrick has been around longer than 3 years, but I'm guessing this is
your first time with Rails. (I'm assuming that SpiceWorks is still
Rails-based.)

You might want to try seeking more targeted guidance from the Rails list.

http://www.ruby-forum.com/forum/3
What I had noticed was, when I start the Webrick server, if I generate
a new controller, I would receive a routing error until I restart the
Webrick server. So that means for every test of modification I would
need to restart the Webrick server, is that true? If it is, it would seem
to be very tedious. Thanks.

It sounds like you may be starting the server with the Rails
environment (RAILS_ENV) set to production rather than development.

http://bandwagonblog.wordpress.com/2009/01/19/rails-environments/
"Development Mode
config.cache_classes = false

Production Mode
config.cache_classes = true"

http://www.spacevatican.org/2008/12/28/when-cache_classes-gets-you-down
"if config.cache_classes is true (which it is in production) then all
of your models, controllers etc are loaded up as part of application
initialization"

Kk Xx

Thanks for the clarification with Webrick server. I guess last time when
I tried Rails it had Webrick but I wasn't aware of it.

Also, for the environment variable, I checked it and it seemed that my
application is already running under development mode. So that rules out
this possibility. Could there be other problems?

PS. I'm running all this on Win 7.