    the new controller would only take effect after a while. Maybe I have
    done something during this time, but I don't know. Does anyone what's
    the possible problem?
    Kefan Xie, Jan 21, 2010

  2. Kefan Xie

    Guest

    On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 12:12 PM, Kefan Xie <> wrote:
    > Just recently installed Ruby for the purpose of developing extensions
    > for SpiceWorks. However, this is my first ever experience with Ruby
    > since its update to its new form (last time touched was at least 3 years
    > ago when there's no such thing as Webrick server).

    Webrick has been around longer than 3 years, but I'm guessing this is
    your first time with Rails. (I'm assuming that SpiceWorks is still
    Rails-based.)

    You might want to try seeking more targeted guidance from the Rails list.

    http://www.ruby-forum.com/forum/3

    > What I had noticed was, when I start the Webrick server, if I generate
    > a new controller, I would receive a routing error until I restart the
    > Webrick server. So that means for every test of modification I would
    > need to restart the Webrick server, is that true? If it is, it would seem
    > to be very tedious. Thanks.

    It sounds like you may be starting the server with the Rails
    environment (RAILS_ENV) set to production rather than development.

    http://bandwagonblog.wordpress.com/2009/01/19/rails-environments/
    "Development Mode
    config.cache_classes = false

    Production Mode
    config.cache_classes = true"

    http://www.spacevatican.org/2008/12/28/when-cache_classes-gets-you-down
    "if config.cache_classes is true (which it is in production) then all
    of your models, controllers etc are loaded up as part of application
    initialization"
    , Jan 21, 2010

  3. Kefan Xie

    Kk Xx Guest

    Thanks for the clarification with Webrick server. I guess last time when
    I tried Rails it had Webrick but I wasn't aware of it.

    Also, for the environment variable, I checked it and it seemed that my
    application is already running under development mode. So that rules out
    this possibility. Could there be other problems?

    PS. I'm running all this on Win 7.
    Kk Xx, Jan 21, 2010