Ruby on AIX?

Austin Moody

The only problem that I'm having now is just getting the Socket library
to compile.

I've tried running ./configure --disable-ipv6 and then make

But when you go into the ext/socket directory there is no Makefile.

If I manually run extconf.rb I get the followng output:

checking for t_open() in -lnsl... no
checking for socket() in -lsocket... no
checking for netinet/tcp.h... yes
checking for netinet/udp.h... yes
checking for sendmsg()... no
checking for recvmsg()... no
checking for inet_ntop()... no
checking for inet_ntoa()... no
checking for inet_pton()... no
checking for inet_aton()... no
checking for getservbyport()... no
checking for arpa/inet.h... yes
checking for arpa/nameser.h... yes
checking for resolv.h... yes
checking for sys/un.h... yes
checking for sys/uio.h... yes
checking for socket()... no

My mkmf.log file is FULL of stuff which can be seen here ->
http://www.austin-moody.com/junk/mkmf.log.html

Anyone have any ideas?

Austin Moody

Another update...

I contacted the guys at the bullfreeware site
(http://www.bullfreeware.com/) about compiling a version of Ruby 1.8.2.

Today it appeared on their site, however... still not socket library.

Those who have gotten this to compile... could it be as simple as you
e-mailing me the socket.so file? Could someone send me that and let me
try it?

gapb_at_lm

I've got 1.8.2 built with xlc on 5.1. Sockets seem to work and though
I haven't had a chance to test extensively, but so far it looks pretty
solid. I made a *lot* of changes to the code fixing type conversions
and a few other things. I also changed configure to poperly build and
use shared libs. Since I don't have tcl/tk on this host, that part is
not included.

I don't have much (really any) time to work on it further right now,
but would be willing to make a tarball and ftp it to anyone who wants
to take it in and make it available.

cheers,
-gapb-