Ruby on Rails or Perl's Maypole..is there a Python equivalent

Gary Nutbeam

I've noticed that the Perl camp has a very nice web/database environment
called Maypole. Ruby has the Rails environment which on the surface seems
similar to Maypole. I can't find anything in Python that ties a database
to a web interface anywhere near as well as Ruby on Rails or Maypole.

I see the behemoth Zope having the best web/database integration, but
unfortunately I don't want to spent weeks writing xml for the interface.

Does anyone know of something similar to Rails or Maypole in Python?

Thanks.

Gary Nutbeam

Two out of three on the home made approach I was thinking about.

Quixote, Cheetah and SQLObject.

Thanks for the link. I'm perusing it now.

D H

Gary said:
I've noticed that the Perl camp has a very nice web/database environment
called Maypole. Ruby has the Rails environment which on the surface seems
similar to Maypole. I can't find anything in Python that ties a database
to a web interface anywhere near as well as Ruby on Rails or Maypole.

I see the behemoth Zope having the best web/database integration, but
unfortunately I don't want to spent weeks writing xml for the interface.

Does anyone know of something similar to Rails or Maypole in Python?

Check out Castle on Rails for .NET/Mono. It is still in early
development, but you can use it with C#, VB, or boo, and I'm sure
eventually with IronPython as well.

Bruno Desthuilliers

Gary Nutbeam a écrit :
I've noticed that the Perl camp has a very nice web/database environment
called Maypole. Ruby has the Rails environment which on the surface seems
similar to Maypole. I can't find anything in Python that ties a database
to a web interface anywhere near as well as Ruby on Rails or Maypole.

I see the behemoth Zope having the best web/database integration, but
unfortunately I don't want to spent weeks writing xml for the interface.

Is this a troll ? I wrote several Zope apps, and I don't remember having
written a single ligne of xml. Unless you count ZPT for XML ?

Gary Nutbeam

I count zpt as xml because page templates can operate in html or xml mode.
This is not a troll. It is a lot of work in Zope to create interfaces to
relational data for anything more than simple data models.

It's a lot less work in Maypole or Rails, but I don't want to go back to
writing in Perl, or needing to learn Ruby.

I do like Formulator but the documentation on it is weak. I don't want to
have to go rooting around in the source code or spending hours on weeding
through mailing lists for answers. I still have to screw around and glue
formulator to the data with python, zpt, and zsql methods. Archetypes seems
a lot closer to a fix, but there are problems with SQLStorage representing
anything more than simple relationships reliably.

It would be nice to have an object database that is ACID compliant.

Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:

Gary Nutbeam

Thanks for the feedback. I should have been more specific though and
mentioned this has done on Linux (client and server).

Steve Holden

Gary said:
I count zpt as xml because page templates can operate in html or xml mode.
This is not a troll. It is a lot of work in Zope to create interfaces to
relational data for anything more than simple data models.

It's a lot less work in Maypole or Rails, but I don't want to go back to
writing in Perl, or needing to learn Ruby.

I do like Formulator but the documentation on it is weak. I don't want to
have to go rooting around in the source code or spending hours on weeding
through mailing lists for answers. I still have to screw around and glue
formulator to the data with python, zpt, and zsql methods. Archetypes seems
a lot closer to a fix, but there are problems with SQLStorage representing
anything more than simple relationships reliably.

It would be nice to have an object database that is ACID compliant.
Have you looked at Caché? You can download a fully-functional version to
play with, though it's got a fairly steep learning curve for
non-relational use:

http://www.intersystems.com/cache/
InterSystems Caché: Post-relational Database

regards
Steve

bruno modulix

Gary said:
I count zpt as xml because page templates can operate in html or xml mode.

I can understand this, but from a practical POV, ZPT are mainly (x)html
templates. A valid (x)html page is a valid ZPT too. This has nothing in
common with the hundreds of complicated XML conf files needed by most
J2EE app servers.
This is not a troll. It is a lot of work in Zope to create interfaces to
relational data for anything more than simple data models.

It's a lot less work in Maypole or Rails,

I've never worked with any of them, so I can't tell. It's also true that
most of what I've done with Zope so far relies mostly on the ZODB, RDBMS
connections being merely used as a bridge to share data with other
systems. Still, I didn't have any problem with Zope/RDBMS integration so
far.
but I don't want to go back to
writing in Perl,
!-)

or needing to learn Ruby.

A nice language, but yes, there can be practical reasons to stick with
Python.

(snip)

John J. Lee

Gary Nutbeam said:
D H wrote: [...]
Check out Castle on Rails for .NET/Mono. It is still in early
development, but you can use it with C#, VB, or boo, and I'm sure
eventually with IronPython as well.

Thanks for the feedback. I should have been more specific though and
mentioned this has done on Linux (client and server).

Mono runs on Linux.

John

Iwan van der Kleyn

Gary said:
needing to learn Ruby.

But why wouldn't you just use Rails and learn Ruby in the process? The
"effort" required to learn Ruby pales in comparisson to the advantages
using Ruby on Rails might give you, imho.

Ruby is an excellent language, not much different from Python with its
own set of advantages and problems (I really mis python's white-space
indentation for example, but that is fully compensated by Ruby's nice
OOP features). With a book like "Programming Ruby" you would be up to
speed in a few days.

Rails gives you much more than a comparable set of Python libraries
which are gobled together with sticky tape. It provides you not just
with an superbly integrated and consistent set of components. Rails
gives you:
- (real) automation (take a look at scaffolding for quick prototyping)
- terrific documentation (the videos are *not* a gimmick, for example)
- an enthousiastic, supportive user community (that alone is an
incredible help and time saver)

have fun,

Iwan

Gary Nutbeam

John J. Lee wrote:
I know mono runs on linux but I want nothing to do with it unless absolutely
necessary.
Gary Nutbeam said:
D H wrote: [...]
Check out Castle on Rails for .NET/Mono. It is still in early
development, but you can use it with C#, VB, or boo, and I'm sure
eventually with IronPython as well.

Thanks for the feedback. I should have been more specific though and
mentioned this has done on Linux (client and server).

Mono runs on Linux.

John

Gary Nutbeam

Learning Ruby to use Rails is tempting.