Ruby on Rails question

gregarican

Sorry if this isn't the appropriate place to post this...

I am putting the finishing touches on a ROR app I have created for my
company's purchase order processing. There are back-end integrations
such as batch faxing using HylaFAX and e-mail notification for P.O.
processing events (initiation, completion, etc.). One of the final
hurdles I am trying to get past is creating and checking session
cookies in order to determine who is using the P.O. app. This will
determine who the faxes and e-mails will be attributed to.

Today I tried to work with the cookies method that resides under the
ActionController. I tried something simple like:

cookies["user"] = "#{@params['employee']['initia­ls']}"
render_text "Login successful! Cookie stored as... #{cookies["user"]}"

This should look at the CGI parameter that's passed along for the
employee's initials and store them in a cookie. Problem is that nothing

is returned and the page header shows nothing in the cookie value. I am

using a default ROR 0.12.0 installation running on Apache 2.0.52 on a
Windows 2000 box. All of the features from CGI::Cookie work if I do
things the "long way", however. But the ActionController cookie method
doesn't do anything.

Is there something that I'm missing here?

gregarican

James said:
If you don't get an answer here, there is a Rails developer mailing list
that may be better suited for your questions:

(Maybe this should go into the c.l.r FAQ?)

James

Thanks for the information. So far the CGI::Cookie.new method will
create the cookie and I can query its contents. But the
ActionController's cookies method doesn't do the same. It seems pretty
straightforward but perhaps there's some setting that I need to change
somewhere. Oh well, thanks for the URL!