    training courses in Boston at 50% off regular price ($600 for 2 full
    days of training, intro and advanced levels).

    Details at http://workshops.thoughtbot.com/fairhaven

    Wan Li Zhu, Feb 22, 2011

  2. Wan Li Zhu

    James Wright Guest

    On 02/21/11 21:19, Wan Li Zhu wrote:
    > If you're a Perl developer in the Boston area looking to learn Ruby,
    > Fairhaven Capital and thoughtbot are teaming up to offer Ruby on Rails
    > training courses in Boston at 50% off regular price ($600 for 2 full
    > days of training, intro and advanced levels).
    >
    > Details at http://workshops.thoughtbot.com/fairhaven

    Yeah, way to appeal to the Perl people, not even including them in the
    description, grouping them under those familiar with 'other web
    technologies' but mentioning Java and PHP.

    James Wright, Feb 23, 2011

  3. >>>>> "WLZ" == Wan Li Zhu <> writes:

    WLZ> If you're a Perl developer in the Boston area looking to learn
    WLZ> Ruby,

    .... which I am...

    WLZ> Fairhaven Capital and thoughtbot are teaming up to offer
    WLZ> Ruby on Rails training courses in Boston at 50% off regular
    WLZ> price ($600 for 2 full days of training, intro and advanced
    WLZ> levels).

    And now I know who to avoid because they're filthy spammers! Thanks!

    Charlton

    --
    Charlton Wilbur

    Charlton Wilbur, Feb 23, 2011
  4. Wan Li Zhu

    Guest

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 21:19:21 -0800 (PST), Wan Li Zhu <> wrote:

    >If you're a Perl developer in the Boston area looking to learn Ruby,
    >Fairhaven Capital and thoughtbot are teaming up to offer Ruby on Rails
    >training courses in Boston at 50% off regular price ($600 for 2 full
    >days of training, intro and advanced levels).
    >
    >Details at http://workshops.thoughtbot.com/fairhaven

    Can I get a refund if you don't teach me to program in Ruby
    in 2 full days?

    -sln

    , Feb 23, 2011
  5. Wan Li Zhu

    ccc31807 Guest

    On Feb 22, 12:19 am, Wan Li Zhu <> wrote:
    > If you're a Perl developer in the Boston area looking to learn Ruby,
    > Fairhaven Capital and thoughtbot are teaming up to offer Ruby on Rails
    > training courses in Boston at 50% off regular price ($600 for 2 full
    > days of training, intro and advanced levels).
    >
    > Details athttp://workshops.thoughtbot.com/fairhaven

    Ruby is a sweet looking language and nice to use. It's nicer for
    beginners, a bit on the slow side, but makes up for in in syntax. In
    that regard, it's a step up from Java, PHP, etc.

    OTOH Rails sux.

    What I can't figure out is why a Perl developer would have much
    interest in learning Ruby. If you've mastered Perl, it won't take much
    to learn Ruby. I'd be interested to know how many Perl developers
    attend this event. I guess would be zero, or possibly less.

    CC.

    ccc31807, Feb 23, 2011
  6. >>>>> "ccc31807" == ccc31807 <> writes:

    ccc31807> Ruby is a sweet looking language and nice to use. It's nicer for
    ccc31807> beginners, a bit on the slow side, but makes up for in in syntax. In
    ccc31807> that regard, it's a step up from Java, PHP, etc.

    And it's a nice prototype for Perl6. Glad that the Ruby community got a
    chance to shake out some of the new features.

    Randal L. Schwartz, Feb 24, 2011
  7. On 24/02/2011 02:19, Sherm Pendley wrote:
    > ccc31807<> writes:
    >
    >> What I can't figure out is why a Perl developer would have much
    >> interest in learning Ruby.

    > Why would a red painter be interested in learning blue?

    I don't know of any decorators or artists who only know red -- so this
    looks a bit like a man of straw to me.

    I can't claim familiarity with LISP or APL or hundreds of other fine
    programming languages. Nevertheless I have programmed in a handful of
    languages and regard myself as a programmer despite not knowing Ruby.

    > Could someone
    > who only knew one color honestly claim to be a painter to begin with?

    Yes.
    Just as I regard Ansell Adams a photographer and Benedict XVI a priest.

    --
    RGB

    RedGrittyBrick, Feb 24, 2011
  8. Wan Li Zhu

    ccc31807 Guest

    On Feb 23, 9:19 pm, Sherm Pendley <> wrote:
    > > What I can't figure out is why a Perl developer would have much
    > > interest in learning Ruby.

    > Why would a red painter be interested in learning blue? Could someone
    > who only knew one color honestly claim to be a painter to begin with?

    Thank you for the opportunity to clarify this.

    We (speaking as one who uses Perl as his primary language) all know
    and use other languages all day, every day -- like SQL, HTML, XML,
    CSS, JavaScript, and so on. Not that these are Turing complete, but
    they ARE languages that you must learn in order to use.

    Also, most of us have used and continue to use other 'big' languages,
    like C, or Java. I came to Perl from Java, and actually revert to Java
    when I work on a big project. Java allows you to organize your code in
    classes, with attributes and methods, and for a big project with lots
    of classes it results in a product much easier to understand than
    Perl. It's not that you /couldn't/ write a big app in Perl, it's just
    that most use Java, or C++, or C#.

    Ruby has a saying that it's Perl done right. Having used a little
    Ruby, I can see how this saying makes sense. However, Perl is a more
    powerful language than Ruby (my opinion), and a Perlista who learns
    Ruby for the purpose of replacing his language of choice with Ruby is
    moving in the wrong direction. IOW, it would be like a sports driver
    giving up a Porsche for a VW in order to go faster.

    I fully agree with you point about learning other languages. I have
    been studying Common Lisp and Erlang, and have begun to rewrite some
    of my Perl scripts in Lisp. Also, this year (2011) I have been
    introduced to Prolog and R, and have placed both of these languages
    near the top of my to-learn list. Prolog especially -- it's not a
    replacement for Perl, but it will do different things, and you can
    certainly use Perl and Prolog in tandem, the first to produce the
    facts and rules from a data file and the second to search for your
    results.

    CC.

    ccc31807, Feb 24, 2011
  9. >>>>> "SP" == Sherm Pendley <> writes:

    SP> ccc31807 <> writes:

    >> What I can't figure out is why a Perl developer would have much
    >> interest in learning Ruby.

    SP> Why would a red painter be interested in learning blue? Could
    SP> someone who only knew one color honestly claim to be a painter
    SP> to begin with?

    If I were going to learn another language (and I'm not sure why I'm
    phrasing this as a counterfactual conditional, but I'll run with it),
    I'd pick something dramatically different from Perl.

    Unless my principal motivation were to convince HR people doing keyword
    searches, because I'm not comfortable putting Ruby on my resume until
    I've written serious code in it.

    Charlton

    --
    Charlton Wilbur

    Charlton Wilbur, Feb 25, 2011
  10. Wan Li Zhu

    ccc31807 Guest

    On Feb 25, 4:24 pm, Charlton Wilbur <> wrote:
    > If I were going to learn another language (and I'm not sure why I'm
    > phrasing this as a counterfactual conditional, but I'll run with it),
    > I'd pick something dramatically different from Perl.

    I think that a lot of this is influenced by taste. If I were going to
    learn another language (and I am constantly studying/reading about at
    least one other language) I would choose a language that lets me do
    something that Perl can't do well. Current example: R.

    > Unless my principal motivation were to convince HR people doing keyword
    > searches, because I'm not comfortable putting Ruby on my resume until
    > I've written serious code in it.

    If you know how to program, you can program in Ruby, or Python, and so
    on. The problem with HR people is that they are (mostly) checking
    boxes. You have to talk to the technical guys to see what they really
    need, and even if they need someone that knows a particular language,
    they can deal with a lack of experience if you bring other things to
    the table.

    I look and evaluate resumes occasionally, and occasionally sit in on
    interviews, and based on this experience you can't depend on someone's
    self evaluation as shown on their resume. Recent example: an applicant
    who had a Windows OS certification who wasn't able to configure the
    permissions of a new user on a server.

    CC.

    ccc31807, Feb 25, 2011
  11. Wan Li Zhu

    Dr.Ruud Guest

    On 2011-02-25 23:26, ccc31807 wrote:

    > If I were going to
    > learn another language (and I am constantly studying/reading about at
    > least one other language) I would choose a language that lets me do
    > something that Perl can't do well. Current example: R.

    http://pdl.perl.org/
    :)

    --
    Ruud