Ruby on rails training for Perl developers

Wan Li Zhu

If you're a Perl developer in the Boston area looking to learn Ruby,
Fairhaven Capital and thoughtbot are teaming up to offer Ruby on Rails
training courses in Boston at 50% off regular price ($600 for 2 full
days of training, intro and advanced levels).

Details at http://workshops.thoughtbot.com/fairhaven

James Wright

If you're a Perl developer in the Boston area looking to learn Ruby,
Fairhaven Capital and thoughtbot are teaming up to offer Ruby on Rails
training courses in Boston at 50% off regular price ($600 for 2 full
days of training, intro and advanced levels).

Details at http://workshops.thoughtbot.com/fairhaven

Yeah, way to appeal to the Perl people, not even including them in the
description, grouping them under those familiar with 'other web
technologies' but mentioning Java and PHP.

Charlton Wilbur

WLZ> If you're a Perl developer in the Boston area looking to learn
WLZ> Ruby,

.... which I am...

WLZ> Fairhaven Capital and thoughtbot are teaming up to offer
WLZ> Ruby on Rails training courses in Boston at 50% off regular
WLZ> price ($600 for 2 full days of training, intro and advanced
WLZ> levels).

And now I know who to avoid because they're filthy spammers! Thanks!

Charlton

sln

If you're a Perl developer in the Boston area looking to learn Ruby,
Fairhaven Capital and thoughtbot are teaming up to offer Ruby on Rails
training courses in Boston at 50% off regular price ($600 for 2 full
days of training, intro and advanced levels).

Details at http://workshops.thoughtbot.com/fairhaven

Can I get a refund if you don't teach me to program in Ruby
in 2 full days?

-sln

ccc31807

If you're a Perl developer in the Boston area looking to learn Ruby,
Fairhaven Capital and thoughtbot are teaming up to offer Ruby on Rails
training courses in Boston at 50% off regular price ($600 for 2 full
days of training, intro and advanced levels).

Details athttp://workshops.thoughtbot.com/fairhaven

Ruby is a sweet looking language and nice to use. It's nicer for
beginners, a bit on the slow side, but makes up for in in syntax. In
that regard, it's a step up from Java, PHP, etc.

OTOH Rails sux.

What I can't figure out is why a Perl developer would have much
interest in learning Ruby. If you've mastered Perl, it won't take much
to learn Ruby. I'd be interested to know how many Perl developers
attend this event. I guess would be zero, or possibly less.

CC.

Randal L. Schwartz

ccc31807> Ruby is a sweet looking language and nice to use. It's nicer for
ccc31807> beginners, a bit on the slow side, but makes up for in in syntax. In
ccc31807> that regard, it's a step up from Java, PHP, etc.

And it's a nice prototype for Perl6. Glad that the Ruby community got a
chance to shake out some of the new features.

RedGrittyBrick

Why would a red painter be interested in learning blue?

I don't know of any decorators or artists who only know red -- so this
looks a bit like a man of straw to me.

I can't claim familiarity with LISP or APL or hundreds of other fine
programming languages. Nevertheless I have programmed in a handful of
languages and regard myself as a programmer despite not knowing Ruby.

Could someone
who only knew one color honestly claim to be a painter to begin with?

Yes.
Just as I regard Ansell Adams a photographer and Benedict XVI a priest.

ccc31807

Why would a red painter be interested in learning blue? Could someone
who only knew one color honestly claim to be a painter to begin with?

Thank you for the opportunity to clarify this.

We (speaking as one who uses Perl as his primary language) all know
and use other languages all day, every day -- like SQL, HTML, XML,
CSS, JavaScript, and so on. Not that these are Turing complete, but
they ARE languages that you must learn in order to use.

Also, most of us have used and continue to use other 'big' languages,
like C, or Java. I came to Perl from Java, and actually revert to Java
when I work on a big project. Java allows you to organize your code in
classes, with attributes and methods, and for a big project with lots
of classes it results in a product much easier to understand than
Perl. It's not that you /couldn't/ write a big app in Perl, it's just
that most use Java, or C++, or C#.

Ruby has a saying that it's Perl done right. Having used a little
Ruby, I can see how this saying makes sense. However, Perl is a more
powerful language than Ruby (my opinion), and a Perlista who learns
Ruby for the purpose of replacing his language of choice with Ruby is
moving in the wrong direction. IOW, it would be like a sports driver
giving up a Porsche for a VW in order to go faster.

I fully agree with you point about learning other languages. I have
been studying Common Lisp and Erlang, and have begun to rewrite some
of my Perl scripts in Lisp. Also, this year (2011) I have been
introduced to Prolog and R, and have placed both of these languages
near the top of my to-learn list. Prolog especially -- it's not a
replacement for Perl, but it will do different things, and you can
certainly use Perl and Prolog in tandem, the first to produce the
facts and rules from a data file and the second to search for your
results.

CC.

Charlton Wilbur

SP> Why would a red painter be interested in learning blue? Could
SP> someone who only knew one color honestly claim to be a painter
SP> to begin with?

If I were going to learn another language (and I'm not sure why I'm
phrasing this as a counterfactual conditional, but I'll run with it),
I'd pick something dramatically different from Perl.

Unless my principal motivation were to convince HR people doing keyword
searches, because I'm not comfortable putting Ruby on my resume until
I've written serious code in it.

Charlton

ccc31807

If I were going to learn another language (and I'm not sure why I'm
phrasing this as a counterfactual conditional, but I'll run with it),
I'd pick something dramatically different from Perl.

I think that a lot of this is influenced by taste. If I were going to
learn another language (and I am constantly studying/reading about at
least one other language) I would choose a language that lets me do
something that Perl can't do well. Current example: R.
Unless my principal motivation were to convince HR people doing keyword
searches, because I'm not comfortable putting Ruby on my resume until
I've written serious code in it.

If you know how to program, you can program in Ruby, or Python, and so
on. The problem with HR people is that they are (mostly) checking
boxes. You have to talk to the technical guys to see what they really
need, and even if they need someone that knows a particular language,
they can deal with a lack of experience if you bring other things to
the table.

I look and evaluate resumes occasionally, and occasionally sit in on
interviews, and based on this experience you can't depend on someone's
self evaluation as shown on their resume. Recent example: an applicant
who had a Windows OS certification who wasn't able to configure the
permissions of a new user on a server.

CC.