Ruby On Rails Tutorials That Actually Work?

Dale

This may not be the group to ask, if not pardon me. I've gone through three
Ruby On Rails tutorials now, none of which works. I don't know enough yet
about the Ruby or Rails to know why they don't work, if I knew I wouldn't be
looking at tutorials. Maybe they used to work but are now broken because of
changes to the build. Does anyone know of a tutorial that works with the
latest build?

Gregory Brown

This may not be the group to ask, if not pardon me. I've gone through thr= ee
Ruby On Rails tutorials now, none of which works. I don't know enough yet
about the Ruby or Rails to know why they don't work, if I knew I wouldn't= be
looking at tutorials. Maybe they used to work but are now broken because = of
changes to the build. Does anyone know of a tutorial that works with the
latest build?

The Depot Application in Agile Web Development with Rails and the
OnLamp tutorials all work for me...

What build are you running? When you say they don't work, what kind
of problems are you having?

If you can post the output of any errors, people might be able to help you.=
..
There is also a rails group, which probably has good suggestions too.

Kev Jackson

Dale said:
This may not be the group to ask, if not pardon me. I've gone through three
Ruby On Rails tutorials now, none of which works. I don't know enough yet
about the Ruby or Rails to know why they don't work, if I knew I wouldn't be
looking at tutorials. Maybe they used to work but are now broken because of
changes to the build. Does anyone know of a tutorial that works with the
latest build?
What we need to be able to help you:
- Output from the server console/log
- version number of rails and ruby
- environment (Windows/Linux/Mac OSX)
- database (MySQL, Oracle etc)
- web server
- any error messages
- steps to reproduce

As a data point, I've just recently completed the Agile Web development
with rails - Depot application with the following:
Windows XP SP2
Ruby one-click installer
Rails version 0.14.2 (gem update rails) from Rails 0.13.1
MySQL 4.x

Kev

James Britt

Kev said:
What we need to be able to help you:
- Output from the server console/log
- version number of rails and ruby
- environment (Windows/Linux/Mac OSX)
- database (MySQL, Oracle etc)
- web server
- any error messages
- steps to reproduce

As a data point, I've just recently completed the Agile Web development
with rails - Depot application with the following:
Windows XP SP2
Ruby one-click installer
Rails version 0.14.2 (gem update rails) from Rails 0.13.1
MySQL 4.x

This information is perhaps better presented to folks on the Rails list:

James

Sean Bowman

I think most of the Rails tutorials online are out-of-date with the
latest releases (13.1, 14.2). I'd recommend the Agile Development
with Rails book. While not completely up with the latest releases
either, it's a great book and almost everything works. By the time
you get to the examples that don't work properly, you'll know enough
about the API to figure things out properly for yourself.

One of the biggest problems with Rails right now is the
documentation. When you're learning this beast, don't always trust
the RDocs, books, or tutorials. Development is moving so fast with
Rails that the documentation rarely keeps up.

That said, don't give up. Once you get into the Rails and Ruby
mindset it's a beautiful environment. Definitely worth the learning
curve.

This information is perhaps better presented to folks on the Rails
list:

James

Sean Bowman
Lab Architect/Ontology Strategy
1221 Auraria Parkway
Denver, CO 80204
303.808.1718
303.572.1122 x202

(e-mail address removed)

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

[...]

What exactly is Ontology Strategy? Sounds like a career I'd like to aspire =
to.

Nick

Curt Hibbs

I think most of the Rails tutorials online are out-of-date with the
latest releases (13.1, 14.2).

The Rolling with Ruby on Rails tutorial at ONLamp.com is up to date
and should still work. I have made changes to it over time to keep it
up to date.

Curt

Vincent Foley

I think I should probably remove my tutorial (the todo list one) as it
was written with Rails 0.8. Things have changed greatly since then, I
don't think it's really a good to have around anymore.

Vincent.

lrod

I Just completed this tutorial,

I knew no ruby whatsoever and had the app working, I have been looking
at ruby for a while but never took the plunge. I like the whole
environment having now looked it over and will look to add this to my
skillset.

Thanks very much for the great tutorial at onlamp.

krys