Ruby on (SuSE?) Linux

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by dhtapp, Apr 27, 2004.

  1. dhtapp

    dhtapp Guest

    List,

    I've decided it's time to do a Nuke-and-Pave on my XP box. I'm about to
    attempt my very first Linux installation.

    I have some experience as a user of both Solaris and Mac OS/X, but I've
    never attempted to set up or administer such a machine. (Well, I set up Mac
    OS/X, but that's about as tough as plugging in a toaster.)

    After looking at the various brands, I've about decided that SuSE is the
    best way for me to go, but I haven't purchased anything yet. (Yes, I've
    been to the linuxiso site, but I'm thinking a detailed manual is a really
    good idea the first time around.)

    Since Ruby is one of the two principal reasons for having a machine (Java
    being the other), I'm looking for any advisements, starting with "It doesn't
    work on SuSE, you dolt!" and getting more detailed from there.

    I apologize for the rank amateurishness of the question; please feel free to
    reply privately.

    Thanks!

    - dan

    dhtapp, Apr 27, 2004

  2. dhtapp wrote:

    >List,
    >
    >I've decided it's time to do a Nuke-and-Pave on my XP box. I'm about to
    >attempt my very first Linux installation.
    >
    >I have some experience as a user of both Solaris and Mac OS/X, but I've
    >never attempted to set up or administer such a machine. (Well, I set up Mac
    >OS/X, but that's about as tough as plugging in a toaster.)
    >
    >After looking at the various brands, I've about decided that SuSE is the
    >best way for me to go, but I haven't purchased anything yet. (Yes, I've
    >been to the linuxiso site, but I'm thinking a detailed manual is a really
    >good idea the first time around.)
    >
    >Since Ruby is one of the two principal reasons for having a machine (Java
    >being the other), I'm looking for any advisements, starting with "It doesn't
    >work on SuSE, you dolt!" and getting more detailed from there.
    >
    >I apologize for the rank amateurishness of the question; please feel free to
    >reply privately.

    I'm using SUSE 9.1 on one of my computers and Ruby version 1.8.0 is a
    part of that distro.

    SUSE have a live eval CD that you can download for free from their site.
    You might want to try that to make sure that SUSE does everything you want.

    --
    Mark Sparshatt

    Mark Sparshatt, Apr 27, 2004

  3. At 06:34 28/04/2004 +0900, you wrote:
    >List,
    >
    >I've decided it's time to do a Nuke-and-Pave on my XP box. I'm about to
    >attempt my very first Linux installation.
    >
    >I have some experience as a user of both Solaris and Mac OS/X, but I've
    >never attempted to set up or administer such a machine. (Well, I set up Mac
    >OS/X, but that's about as tough as plugging in a toaster.)
    >
    >After looking at the various brands, I've about decided that SuSE is the
    >best way for me to go, but I haven't purchased anything yet. (Yes, I've
    >been to the linuxiso site, but I'm thinking a detailed manual is a really
    >good idea the first time around.)
    >
    >Since Ruby is one of the two principal reasons for having a machine (Java
    >being the other), I'm looking for any advisements, starting with "It doesn't
    >work on SuSE, you dolt!" and getting more detailed from there.
    >
    >I apologize for the rank amateurishness of the question; please feel free to
    >reply privately.
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >- dan

    If you love Ruby, maybe you want to have a look at Rubyx.
    http://www.rubyx.org/
    Rubyx is a Linux packaging built using Ruby scripts.
    Kind of weird I guess, but I am curious of what the result
    is (I never used it myself).

    Yours,

    Jean-Hugues.

    Web: http://hdl.handle.net/1030.37/1.1
    Phone: +33 (0) 4 92 27 74 17

    Jean-Hugues ROBERT, Apr 28, 2004
  4. Hi.

    dhtapp wrote:
    > I've decided it's time to do a Nuke-and-Pave on my XP box. I'm about to
    > attempt my very first Linux installation.

    Welcome!

    > I have some experience as a user of both Solaris and Mac OS/X, but I've
    > never attempted to set up or administer such a machine. (Well, I set up Mac
    > OS/X, but that's about as tough as plugging in a toaster.)

    > Since Ruby is one of the two principal reasons for having a machine (Java
    > being the other), I'm looking for any advisements, starting with "It doesn't
    > work on SuSE, you dolt!" and getting more detailed from there.

    Ruby is built 'on and for' Linux (as far as I know), so I wouldn't
    expect any serious problems.
    I run and build (well built, actually - I don't do it every day ;-) Ruby
    on a SuSE 9.0 system without any problems.

    > I apologize for the rank amateurishness of the question; please feel free to
    > reply privately.

    That's perfectly OK. We're the Ruby community. :)

    Happy rubying

    Stephan

    Stephan Kämper, Apr 28, 2004
  5. dhtapp

    Mike Z Guest

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Stephan Kämper wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > dhtapp wrote:
    > > I've decided it's time to do a Nuke-and-Pave on my XP box. I'm about to
    > > attempt my very first Linux installation.

    > Welcome!
    >
    > > I have some experience as a user of both Solaris and Mac OS/X, but I've
    > > never attempted to set up or administer such a machine. (Well, I set up Mac
    > > OS/X, but that's about as tough as plugging in a toaster.)

    > > Since Ruby is one of the two principal reasons for having a machine (Java
    > > being the other), I'm looking for any advisements, starting with "It doesn't
    > > work on SuSE, you dolt!" and getting more detailed from there.

    > Ruby is built 'on and for' Linux (as far as I know), so I wouldn't
    > expect any serious problems.
    > I run and build (well built, actually - I don't do it every day ;-) Ruby
    > on a SuSE 9.0 system without any problems.

    And SuSE are even kind enough to package Ruby as part of the distribution.
    Sure, they're still using a 1.6 release, but the maintainers have been
    very receptive to feedback ("please please please build with readline
    support installed" "sure thing- here you go").

    Cheers,
    Mike
    --
    Mike Z <> - it's an apathy thing