    which I cannot find anywhere.

    Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could get enough of a
    ruby-devel installed to get ncurses working?
    Sy Ali, Aug 3, 2007

  2. Sy Ali

    gregarican Guest

    On Aug 3, 2:56 pm, "Sy Ali" <> wrote:
    > I'm happy with the older ruby 1.8.4 which I have for my Zaurus
    > SL-C1000. I can finally get rubygems up and running and with that
    > many other gems.. but I cannot get ncurses working.
    >
    > This is because ncurses is expecting the ruby development libraries,
    > which I cannot find anywhere.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could get enough of a
    > ruby-devel installed to get ncurses working?

    Good question. Several years ago I did some Ruby programming on a
    SL-5500. I can't recall how complete of an install it was. Most likely
    bare-bones. And trying to cross compile Ruby for the Zaurus turned
    into a train wreck due to my own ignorance. I'll check my files and
    see what all I was able to do back then...
    gregarican, Aug 3, 2007

  3. Sy Ali

    gregarican Guest

    On Aug 3, 3:13 pm, gregarican <> wrote:
    > On Aug 3, 2:56 pm, "Sy Ali" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm happy with the older ruby 1.8.4 which I have for my Zaurus
    > > SL-C1000. I can finally get rubygems up and running and with that
    > > many other gems.. but I cannot get ncurses working.

    > > This is because ncurses is expecting the ruby development libraries,
    > > which I cannot find anywhere.

    > > Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could get enough of a
    > > ruby-devel installed to get ncurses working?

    > Good question. Several years ago I did some Ruby programming on a
    > SL-5500. I can't recall how complete of an install it was. Most likely
    > bare-bones. And trying to cross compile Ruby for the Zaurus turned
    > into a train wreck due to my own ignorance. I'll check my files and
    > see what all I was able to do back then...

    I have Ruby 1.8.3 on my SL-5500 and it appears as if ruby-devel is on
    there. I see libruby.so and other so files. If that's the case then
    perhaps scope out http://shimi.info/modules/bwiki/index.php?cmd=read&page=Zaurus/Ruby
    which is a site that links to an IPK for this version. If it doesn't
    appear complete then e-mail me and I can send you the IPK from my
    Zaurus.

    >From what I remember I had some fun developing on the Z. Had Python,

    Ruby, and Squeak all running on it at one time or the other :)
    gregarican, Aug 3, 2007
  4. Sy Ali

    Phlip Guest

    gregarican wrote:

    > >From what I remember I had some fun developing on the Z. Had Python,

    > Ruby, and Squeak all running on it at one time or the other :)

    I heard that someone (possibly one of you) got my MiniRubyWiki working
    on their Zaurus.

    Exactly what I designed it for - very small footprint and easy but
    deep interface.

    Now if I could only manage to snag a f---ing Zaurus for myself..!

    --
    Phlip
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510657/
    Phlip, Aug 3, 2007
  5. Sy Ali

    gregarican Guest

    On Aug 3, 3:46 pm, Phlip <> wrote:
    > gregarican wrote:
    > > >From what I remember I had some fun developing on the Z. Had Python,

    > > Ruby, and Squeak all running on it at one time or the other :)

    > I heard that someone (possibly one of you) got my MiniRubyWiki working
    > on their Zaurus.
    >
    > Exactly what I designed it for - very small footprint and easy but
    > deep interface.
    >
    > Now if I could only manage to snag a f---ing Zaurus for myself..!
    >
    > --
    > Phlip
    > http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510657/
    > ^ assert_xpath
    > http://tinyurl.com/yrc77g <-- assert_latest Model

    If you're lucky you can get one on eBay. They are becoming scarcer
    nowadays. Lately my Linux-based toy of choice is a Nokia 770 Internet
    Tablet...
    gregarican, Aug 3, 2007
  6. Sy Ali

    Sy Ali Guest

    On 8/3/07, gregarican <> wrote:
    > If you're lucky you can get one on eBay. They are becoming scarcer
    > nowadays. Lately my Linux-based toy of choice is a Nokia 770 Internet
    > Tablet...

    There's a new version of that which supposedly has a better battery
    life. I like the SL-Cx00 versions because of the integrated keyboard.
    Although I still prefer my 200lx keyboard. =/

    Thanks for your tip, I checked out that site but those links were
    broken. I was unable to sign up to his wiki to get his contact info
    and email him about it. (even in my translator-broken Japanese =)

    Thanks for sending me the links. It installs fine. Unfortunately it
    seems that I mistook my ncurses-ruby building's error message as
    needing ruby-devel when in fact it was asking for ncurses-devel!
    Argh. I hunted around but I had no luck. I'm giving up for now.

    *One day* I'll be able to do muby programming on the Zaurus. =)

    For those who are interested, i've whipped up some Ruby + Zaurus notes here:
    http://jrandomhacker.info/Ruby_on_the_Zaurus
    Sy Ali, Aug 4, 2007
  7. Sy Ali

    Axel Etzold Guest

    Dear Sy,

    you could try pdaxrom on the Zaurus. It aims to provide a
    complete Linux distribution on the Zaurus. I installed
    gcc and compiled any Linux software I wanted, including
    Ruby, from source on it, without problems.

    http://www.pdaxrom.org/

    There is a very helpful page with special instructions

    http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/pdaxii13.html

    If you have questions, there is a very helpful special
    forum

    http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showforum=73

    dedicated especially to Zaurus questions.

    Best regards,

    Axel

    Axel Etzold, Aug 4, 2007
  8. Sy Ali

    Sy Ali Guest

    On 8/4/07, Axel Etzold <> wrote:
    > you could try pdaxrom on the Zaurus. It aims to provide a
    > complete Linux distribution on the Zaurus. I installed
    > gcc and compiled any Linux software I wanted, including
    > Ruby, from source on it, without problems.

    pdaXrom is unfinished and is still alpha, and VERY alpha for
    supporting the SL-C1000. I'm using weeXpc which is based off of it,
    has been updated and is commercially supported. I can still use
    pdaXrom packages though.

    I've been investigating doing cross-compiling to target the Zaurus, or
    compiling on the Zaurus. This is probably the best thing for me to
    try, because even the major Zaurus-supporting groups seem to be
    several years behind with their software.
    Sy Ali, Aug 4, 2007
  9. Sy Ali

    Axel Etzold Guest

    Dear Sy,

    > pdaXrom is unfinished and is still alpha, and VERY alpha for
    > supporting the SL-C1000. I'm using weeXpc which is based off of it,
    > has been updated and is commercially supported. I can still use
    > pdaXrom packages though.

    I don't know what your experience has been, but other than all
    software - as all human undertakings - is unfinished, I must say, I found the community for
    Pdaxrom very helpful and responsive and I can't say that
    pdaxrom is not sufficient to my needs or in any way defective.
    Rather, it was the first OS version that allowed me to use
    my Zaurus the way I wanted it : use more than pre-packaged ipk
    software, and do more than have just an expensive calendar + word +
    internet + some other pre-installed software I didn't use that much.

    However, I must say that I mainly skipped the previously installed
    OS for pdaxrom in order to be able to compile myself.
    For SL-c1000 and pdaxrom support, see:

    http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=22619&st=0&p=149905&#entry149905

    or ask "meanie" a question yourself. I don't think you'll need
    to rely on commercial support...

    > I've been investigating doing cross-compiling to target the Zaurus, or
    > compiling on the Zaurus.

    Direct compilation is what I was suggesting you to do in my last mail. You'll get the compiler gcc in the install image of pdaxrom, and then, you can install any Linux software from source using the usual configure-make-make install process.

    Best regards,

    Axel
    Axel Etzold, Aug 4, 2007
  10. Sy Ali

    Tom Link Guest

    Tom Link, Aug 6, 2007
  11. Sy Ali

    Sy Ali Guest

    On 8/6/07, Tom Link <> wrote:
    > Sy Ali wrote:
    > > I'm happy with the older ruby 1.8.4 which I have for my Zaurus
    > > SL-C1000.

    > Here is a more current version with some extra packages:
    > http://www.focv.com/ipkg/

    Thank you.

    I did manage to find a 1.8.5 already but that listing of Zaurus
    software is really great, thanks.
    Sy Ali, Aug 7, 2007
  12. Sy Ali

    Sy Ali Guest

    On 8/4/07, Axel Etzold <> wrote:
    > I don't know what your experience has been, but other than all
    > software - as all human undertakings - is unfinished, I must say, I found the community for
    > Pdaxrom very helpful and responsive and I can't say that
    > pdaxrom is not sufficient to my needs or in any way defective.

    C1000 support has only been _very_ recently added. It was
    specifically not supported with the newer releases of pdaXrom so I
    stopped looking at the project. I checked, and Meanie does have some
    work to allow c1000 installation quite easily.

    I will be checking it out, but I might also check out Poky because it
    has had a recent release and it looks like a very promising project.

    > Rather, it was the first OS version that allowed me to use
    > my Zaurus the way I wanted it : use more than pre-packaged ipk
    > software, and do more than have just an expensive calendar + word +
    > internet + some other pre-installed software I didn't use that much.

    This is why I first tried it. But it wasn't working very well when I
    tried it. I see that it's been updated since then.

    > > I've been investigating doing cross-compiling to target the Zaurus, or
    > > compiling on the Zaurus.

    > Direct compilation is what I was suggesting you to do in my last mail. You'll get the compiler gcc in the install image of pdaxrom, and then, you can install any Linux software from source using the usual configure-make-make install process.

    I wasn't able to figure out how to use the zgcc stuff on my weeXpc,
    but I would try it again if I got the newer pdaXrom working.

    Poky first, then I'll try pdaXrom.

    Right now I'm having fun getting all my small textmode applications
    working properly. First I'm going to figure out some more vim
    configuration - I got syntax highlighting and code folding working
    nicely but I need to get some keys to work better when in insert mode.

    I might try emacs as well, if I can figure out how to install it
    without running out of space. =) There are a _lot_ of interesting
    add-ons for it, and I saw a lot of Ruby-related stuff.
    Sy Ali, Aug 7, 2007
  13. Sy Ali

    Tom Link Guest

    > I wasn't able to figure out how to use the zgcc stuff on my weeXpc,
    > but I would try it again if I got the newer pdaXrom working.

    If you want to stay with sharp rom, the zgcc provdided my meanie
    (http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/) works just fine. I used it to
    compile vim with ruby support. I used the cramfs. Meanie also provides
    some scripts that do all the mounting.

    I think your problems were caused by not including the *.h headers (and
    maybe static libraries) in the distribution. Other ipkgs don't split the
    files into end-user and devel packages and just include everything.

    > Poky first, then I'll try pdaXrom.

    Maybe you could post your experiences on oesf with that. They just made
    a new release recently, I think. I read though that it isn't actually
    targeted at end-users. The future is supposed to be Angstrom, or so they
    say.
    Tom Link, Aug 7, 2007
  14. Sy Ali

    Sy Ali Guest

    On 8/7/07, Tom Link <> wrote:
    > > Poky first, then I'll try pdaXrom.

    > Maybe you could post your experiences on oesf with that. They just made
    > a new release recently, I think. I read though that it isn't actually
    > targeted at end-users. The future is supposed to be Angstrom, or so they
    > say.

    I won't have time to test Poky until the weekend, but I'll give it a
    shot. Until then I'll fiddle with vi some more and then take another
    stab at using emacs with ruby support.

    Actually, I have some heavy lifting to do to fix my ruby scripts so
    that they run faster on my Zaurus. They're painfully slow right now.
    =(

    Poky's latest release looks particularly good. Angstrom was pre-alpha
    when I last saw it. Now it's just alpha but there is a lot of
    activity. I still place a lot of hope in it. I might even buy a
    C3100 just for more full support and development under Angstrom.
    Sy Ali, Aug 7, 2007
  15. Sy Ali

    gregarican Guest

    On Aug 7, 7:29 am, "Sy Ali" <> wrote:
    > On 8/7/07, Tom Link <> wrote:
    >
    > > > Poky first, then I'll try pdaXrom.

    > > Maybe you could post your experiences on oesf with that. They just made
    > > a new release recently, I think. I read though that it isn't actually
    > > targeted at end-users. The future is supposed to be Angstrom, or so they
    > > say.

    > I won't have time to test Poky until the weekend, but I'll give it a
    > shot. Until then I'll fiddle with vi some more and then take another
    > stab at using emacs with ruby support.
    >
    > Actually, I have some heavy lifting to do to fix my ruby scripts so
    > that they run faster on my Zaurus. They're painfully slow right now.
    > =(
    >
    > Poky's latest release looks particularly good. Angstrom was pre-alpha
    > when I last saw it. Now it's just alpha but there is a lot of
    > activity. I still place a lot of hope in it. I might even buy a
    > C3100 just for more full support and development under Angstrom.

    Out of curiosity how is it doing all of the script creation and
    editing on the Zaurus? Personally most of the development I did on the
    Zaurus a few years ago was done using my PC and I just copied the
    files over to the Zaurus for deployment. I tried using text editors
    for Ruby, Python's own IDE for Zaurus, and even a Squeak image. But it
    just seemed to tedious. I guess there's a certain coolness factor
    involved, plus if you're on the road and don't have a PC handy you can
    just work right on the handheld.

    Too bad Sharp bailed out on the Zaurus line in the U.S. I know the C
    series is doable through importers and the line is a lot more
    functional and powerful than the SL series. But it seemed as if things
    got stagnant in terms of active application development. So then that
    lost steam my interest unfortunately did too.

    The suggestion about the zgcc package and cramfs is a good one. It
    worked well from what I recall. But it just was so tedious and slow
    compiling things directly on the Z that I didn't have the patience.
    gregarican, Aug 7, 2007
  16. Sy Ali

    Sy Ali Guest

    On 8/7/07, gregarican <> wrote:
    > Out of curiosity how is it doing all of the script creation and
    > editing on the Zaurus?

    So far there are no limitations except that I don't tend to have an
    internet connection. This severely limits my ability to rely on a net
    connection to make up for my faulty memory. Aside from this there
    have been zero drawbacks from developing in this form.

    I tend to solve one or two problems on the bus to and from work. =)

    Actually, the fact is that I tend to be much more focused on what I'm
    doing because I generally _cannot_ work on some other task. I simply
    don't have other applications or a net connection to draw away my
    interests. There's no pausing to check email.. I just keep working.
    My breaks end up sending me towards some different piece of code or
    some tutorial I downloaded.

    On-handheld tutorials is something I'm going to spend more time on.
    Nobody has really amassed a useful and portable collection of
    documentation. I really need it since I can't do any googling while
    on the road. That and some kind of snippets database will be regular
    projects. I'll be forced to work on these things, which is actually
    kindof nice.

    > I tried using text editors
    > for Ruby, Python's own IDE for Zaurus, and even a Squeak image. But it
    > just seemed to tedious.

    If I can figure out the broken cursor and backspace/delete keys for
    vim, while in insert mode, then I can use it full time. I really hate
    a lot of it, but it's growing on me now that I can figure out basics.
    I might end up with gvim though, for the menus.

    I got Diakonos working very well, but it doesn't have code folding. =(

    I ran out of space trying to install emacs, but I'll play with it
    before this Sunday, and I'll borrow an emacs guru for some help
    getting ruby support working. I'm a bit scared of all the
    control-shift-meta-cokebottle-x hotkeys though. On a handheld those
    would suck.

    I think I'll blossom by being forced to not use an IDE. Test cases
    and solid little blocks of code will do well for me until I become
    more advanced. Too many advanced coders tell me that IDEs are an
    unnecessary crutch anyways. =)

    > I guess there's a certain coolness factor involved

    Oh yeah. It's *a computer* ..

    I just have to bone up on my martial arts so I can punch people out
    when they ask me if it can run Windows. =)

    > Too bad Sharp bailed out on the Zaurus line in the U.S.

    They bailed out in Japan too. I understand that It's not being
    produced anymore. Sigh. This means that I'll have to buy a half
    dozen of them.

    > I know the C
    > series is doable through importers and the line is a lot more
    > functional and powerful than the SL series.

    I dunno what you mean. I have an SL-C1000 =)

    > The suggestion about the zgcc package and cramfs is a good one. It
    > worked well from what I recall. But it just was so tedious and slow
    > compiling things directly on the Z that I didn't have the patience.

    I wouldn't mind leaving it sitting overnight to compile some essential
    tool. Heck, I could have stuff running in the background for a week..
    it would be worth it.
    Sy Ali, Aug 7, 2007