Ruby on Windows Apache Help

Mark J. Reed

Okay, I know that mod_ruby doesn't exist for Windows, and won't even
compile under Cygwin. I find this unfortunate, as I need to
take my web server down for maintenance, I would prefer to have a backup
online while I do so, and the only boxes available to play backup
run Windows.

So I am willing to make do with traditional, fork/exec, slow,
resource-intensive CGIs. But I would also like to have my .rhtml's run through
eruby automatically. I can configure Apache to run eruby on them, but that
means I need an eruby.exe for Windows. Is it still possible to build a
standalone eruby executable? And will it build on Cygwin?

Thanks.

-Mark

Osuka Adartse

Mark said:
Okay, I know that mod_ruby doesn't exist for Windows, and won't even
compile under Cygwin. I find this unfortunate, as I need to
take my web server down for maintenance, I would prefer to have a backup
online while I do so, and the only boxes available to play backup
run Windows.

So I am willing to make do with traditional, fork/exec, slow,
resource-intensive CGIs. But I would also like to have my .rhtml's run through
eruby automatically. I can configure Apache to run eruby on them, but that
means I need an eruby.exe for Windows. Is it still possible to build a
standalone eruby executable? And will it build on Cygwin?

Thanks.

-Mark
I suppose it'll build on cygwin, I know it does on mingw so..., besides
in the #{ruby_mirror}/ruby/binaries/cygwin/1.8/ext/ there's an
eruby-1.0.5-i386-cygwin-1.8.tar.gz , and very fresh: 13-jan-2004.

Adartse

Chris Morris

Mark said:
Okay, I know that mod_ruby doesn't exist for Windows, and won't even
compile under Cygwin. I find this unfortunate, as I need to
take my web server down for maintenance, I would prefer to have a backup
online while I do so, and the only boxes available to play backup
run Windows.
Another big picture alternative is to build your app into a Drb server
and keep your cgi script pretty bland -- then you can keep your app
running in a separate process.