Ruby on Windows: debugger questions and comments

tony summerfelt

The latest version of FreeRide, and the version of FreeRIDE that comes with
the One-Click Ruby Installer for Windows, both have working debuggers.

has there been a later version of freeride released. i've been using
(sort of) v0.9.2.

threads still don't show up in the 'threads's tab while debugging...

http://home.cogeco.ca/~tsummerfelt1
telnet://ventedspleen.dyndns.org

tony summerfelt

There is also the debugger that comes with RDT (the Ruby plugin for
Eclipse). Visit http://rubyeclipse.sf.net

this is something that step by step instructions (with a list of
gotcha's along the way) would be handy...

a few weeks ago the screenshots of RDT were enough to coax me into
trying eclipse...but i couldn't get RDT installed. i ended up
uninstalling eclipse.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~tsummerfelt1
telnet://ventedspleen.dyndns.org

Curt Hibbs

tony said:
has there been a later version of freeride released. i've been using
(sort of) v0.9.2.

threads still don't show up in the 'threads's tab while debugging...

that's the most recent version. I'm forwarding this to the FreeRIDE ML to
make sure Laurent is aware of this.

Curt

Chris Williams

Tony,
What problems did you run into in installing RDT?

1. You install the Eclipse Runtime Binary
2. Choose Help->Software Updates->Find and Install
3. In the dialog choose "Search for new features to install" and push
next
4. Select "Add Update Site", enter an arbitrary name and the url
http://rubyeclipse.sf.net/updatesite
5. Check RDT and push next
6. Select the feature org.rubypeople.rdt and push next. RDT will be
installed and be available after restart.

Does this help? I'd like to do anything we can to help users of our
plugin.

Thanks,
Chris
There is also the debugger that comes with RDT (the Ruby plugin for
Eclipse). Visit http://rubyeclipse.sf.net

this is something that step by step instructions (with a list of
gotcha's along the way) would be handy...

a few weeks ago the screenshots of RDT were enough to coax me into
trying eclipse...but i couldn't get RDT installed. i ended up
uninstalling eclipse.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~tsummerfelt1
telnet://ventedspleen.dyndns.org

tony summerfelt

that's the most recent version. I'm forwarding this to the FreeRIDE ML to
make sure Laurent is aware of this.

other than that the debugging works well...

the only other problem i have with freeride is that i can't see the
cursor :)

i prefer dark/black backgrounds, so i adjust all the editor items to
reflect that...unfortunately the cursor becomes almost impossible to
see on my lcd with the brightness turned down (which i have to do
because the monitor is so bright to start with). even taking away the
blinking doesn't really help...

freeride is now my ruby ide of choice...
http://home.cogeco.ca/~tsummerfelt1
telnet://ventedspleen.dyndns.org

tony summerfelt

What problems did you run into in installing RDT?

the problem seemed to be trying to install from a local download of
rdt....doing it through eclipse worked...
Does this help? I'd like to do anything we can to help users of our
plugin.

i think had i found that on the web page to start with it would
have :)

i have rdt installed, so far i haven't seen any of the debugger
options, but that's probably due to my inexperience with eclipse...

step by step for that would be nice also :)

i'll continue to play around with it in my free time, but i have to
admit i'm getting work done with freeride...

http://home.cogeco.ca/~tsummerfelt1
telnet://ventedspleen.dyndns.org

Lothar Scholz

As far as I can tell given the lack of docs, yes. I can set
breakpoints and I can even see what variables are in scope, but I'm
not getting values.

Strange, can you email me screenshot. About this, this is the first
bug report about the variable display i got.

Laurent Julliard

Curt said:
that's the most recent version. I'm forwarding this to the FreeRIDE ML to
make sure Laurent is aware of this.

Curt

That's right the threads tab is empty. It is still to be implemented
and I agree it should say something like "to be done". In the mean
time you can always look at the various threads through the Frames tab
(see the right hand side pull down menu)

Laurent

JC

Florian Gross said:
And it works outside of Rails as well -- just copy the breakpoint*.rb
and binding_of_caller.rb files over to somewhere where your application
finds them, do require 'breakpoint' and place breakpoint() calls in your
code to get an IRB session right there at that spot. Ruby's powerful
introspection abilities will then easily let you examine variables,
instance_variables, methods, call stack and much more.

By default those sessions will be inline, meaning they will happen via
the application's regular STDIN/OUT which is usually okay for Ruby
tools, but not for CGI applications, daemons etc. -- for those cases you
should do a single Breakpoint.activate_drb call (you can do this right
after the require) and the breakpoints will wait in server mode until
you connect with breakpoint_client.rb. (ruby breakpoint_client.rb)

If there's any questions regarding this I'd be pleased to answer them.

Thanks you - very useful.