ruby one on osx

Brian Wolf

Hi,

I'm new to ruby and mac's. I just did a one click install to a 10.4 osx
system of of Ruby One from rubyforge, but I don't know where it put it
or how to put it in my path (im from windows background) Any help
appreciated

Thanks
Brian

Eric Christopherson

Hi,

I'm new to ruby and mac's. I just did a one click install to a 10.4 osx
system of of Ruby One from rubyforge, but I don't know where it put it
or how to put it in my path (im from windows background) Any help
appreciated

It looks like that installer installs in /usr/local, with the binaries
in /usr/local/bin. I don't remember for sure, but I think that should
already be in your path; if not, you should add a line like this to
the end of either .profile or .bashrc in your home directory:

export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH

Mac OS X itself comes with Ruby, although I'm not sure what version
10.4 shipped with, so you may not need to use the one-click installer
at all.

Brian Wolf

Eric said:
It looks like that installer installs in /usr/local, with the binaries
in /usr/local/bin. I don't remember for sure, but I think that should
already be in your path; if not, you should add a line like this to
the end of either .profile or .bashrc in your home directory:

export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH

Mac OS X itself comes with Ruby, although I'm not sure what version
10.4 shipped with, so you may not need to use the one-click installer
at all.

I think that worked. 10.4 has an older ruby version, that's why I used
one click.

Thanks!
Brian

Sam Yang

Brian said:
Hi,

I'm new to ruby and mac's. I just did a one click install to a 10.4 osx
system of of Ruby One from rubyforge, but I don't know where it put it
or how to put it in my path (im from windows background) Any help
appreciated

Thanks
Brian

you can install ruby with macport, and you can get macport at
http://www.macports.org/