    some special HTML code and it'll work?

    All this program does is puts out words. It does not need user input or
    anything like that.

    Tj Superfly, Oct 20, 2007

  2. Tj Superfly

    Konrad Meyer Guest

    --nextPart8971752.G2djr306rQ

    Quoth Tj Superfly:
    > I have a code that I would just like to place on a webpage. Do I NEED
    > ruby on rails to do that? Can I just copy the code I have paste it in
    > some special HTML code and it'll work?
    >=20
    > All this program does is puts out words. It does not need user input or
    > anything like that.

    Take a look at ERuby, and/or CGI.

    HTH,
    =2D-=20
    Konrad Meyer <> http://konrad.sobertillnoon.com/

    Konrad Meyer, Oct 20, 2007

  3. Tj Superfly

    7stud -- Guest

    Tj Superfly wrote:
    > I have a code that I would just like to place on a webpage. Do I NEED
    > ruby on rails to do that? Can I just copy the code I have paste it in
    > some special HTML code and it'll work?

    html is for displaying text. If you want to display your code, you can
    do that. hml doesn't execute anything.

    7stud --, Oct 20, 2007
  4. Tj Superfly

    7stud -- Guest

    7stud -- wrote:

    > html is for displaying text. If you want to display your code, you can
    > do that. html doesn't execute anything.

    On second thought, html does have <applet> and <object> tags that allow
    you to execute some java code, and of course browsers understand
    javascript and flash. So, there might be a way to execute some Ruby
    code employing some advanced techniques.

    7stud --, Oct 20, 2007
  5. Tj Superfly

    Tj Superfly Guest

    Yea, thanks. I basically just want to be able to go to a website and
    it'll automatically run the program when the page is loaded and then
    give me the information I need.

    I'm still hunting.

    Tj Superfly, Oct 20, 2007
  6. Tj Superfly

    Chad Perrin Guest

    On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 02:26:14AM +0900, Tj Superfly wrote:
    > Yea, thanks. I basically just want to be able to go to a website and
    > it'll automatically run the program when the page is loaded and then
    > give me the information I need.
    >
    > I'm still hunting.

    Look into eruby implementations. If you're on a webhosting account that
    includes Rails support, it should also provide Ruby support. With Ruby
    support, you can stick an eruby executable in the cgi-bin and use that to
    execute inline Ruby code in your markup. More details of how this is
    used can be found in the free, online edition of the Pickaxe book:

    http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/html/web.html

    Scroll down to the part that mentions "Embedding Ruby in HTML" for some
    details. If this looks like the solution you want, ask for more
    specifics about how to get eruby running, if you don't figure it out for
    yourself through Google. If you're interested in using Ruby CGI scripts,
    that page should help a bit with that as well.

    I use eruby for some web development myself. It's pretty easy to get
    along with.

    Leon Festinger: "A man with a conviction is a hard man to change. Tell him
    you disagree and he turns away. Show him facts and figures and he questions
    your sources. Appeal to logic and he fails to see your point."

    Chad Perrin, Oct 20, 2007
  7. Tj Superfly

    John Joyce Guest

    On Oct 20, 2007, at 12:26 PM, Tj Superfly wrote:

    > Yea, thanks. I basically just want to be able to go to a website and
    > it'll automatically run the program when the page is loaded and then
    > give me the information I need.
    >
    > I'm still hunting.

    that's pretty vague still.
    You want to run a program in the client (web browser) or on the
    server (host of the web site)?
    You want a dynamically generated site ( parts of the site)?
    If so, there are some things to learn.
    Not terribly difficult, but you will have to learn to do some things.
    You will need more specific details of what you want to do.

    For dynamic sites, you could write the program in just about any
    language, though some are not very practical.
    Interpreted languages are most popular for this sort of thing, such
    as Perl, PHP, Python and Ruby, but you could do it in C, C++, Java,
    SmallTalk, or almost anything.
    Some will be easier to use than others.
    Nobody writes everything, it's not practical. Libraries are used.
    Some libraries are more extensive than others. Some libraries are
    more coherently focused on web development than others. Some
    libraries are more focused into a system of development and are
    called 'frameworks'.

    Rails is a web development framework (or system) written in Ruby.
    There are others, such as IOWA and Merb and Camping, all done in Ruby.
    Maypole is a framwork in Perl. Symfony and Cake are PHP frameworks.
    Seaside is a Smalltalk framework. Plone and Django o are Python
    frameworks. Struts is a Java framework. All of these are examples of
    web development frameworks.

    Each language has libraries of functions/methods/constants/etc... for
    things like web development or image processing or file manipulation.
    Examples are Ruby DBI, or Perl DBI, which are similar libraries in
    those languages for interfacing with a database.

    Frameworks make use of existing libraries for a language and
    generally add additional libraries that are (often) specific to that
    framework and language. Frameworks also include a design methodology
    that ties all of those things together with the goal of creating
    writing software quickly and hopefully not having to recreate the
    same things again and again, focusing on creating common things
    easily (an example is the concept of CRUD applications, Create,
    Retrieve, Update, Destroy data, most applications are CRUD apps that
    do those things with some kind of data store, usually a database like
    MySQL, Oracle, or SQLite, but possibly a text file, or even many
    files in the operating system.)

    Now for web site development, you have some choices. PHP is a
    language that was originally designed around web site development. It
    has a lot of libraries and functions that are geared toward web
    development. Therefore, it has become quite popular. However, it
    hasn't had a lot of free, open-source frameworks available and
    popular. Most often people have developed their own proprietary
    frameworks with PHP.

    Python, Perl, and Ruby have all been more general in nature from the
    beginning. These languages also have libraries that are geared toward
    things like web development, but these languages also have libraries
    geared toward doing other things as well.

    Rails has been the killer-app for Ruby. It just happens to be a very
    well designed web development framework that has inspired more than a
    few frameworks in other languages as well. (symfony and cake borrow
    many ideas from Rails)
    Those frameworks are great if you use PHP, but they're missing some
    things. Many of the things that make Rails successful and popular are
    because of the Ruby language itself. Ruby tends to facilitate good
    design and readability.

    Each language has its own strengths. Perl has traditionally been the
    king of processing text and has some incredibly extensive libraries.
    Perl was the original CGI scripting language because of its text
    processing abilities and the fact that web servers were originally
    managed by systems administrators who also used Perl for lots of
    system admin tasks.

    Python has similar qualities of Perl and Ruby. Some people simply
    prefer Python over Ruby or vice versa.

    Your choice of language, libraries and frameworks should be based on
    personal taste and practical needs and capabilities.
    If you're starting out, you can't go wrong. If you already know a
    programming language you might want to go with web development in the
    same or a similar language.

    That said, Ruby is not tough to learn and has a great community, and
    I'd say the same for Python. Perl can be a little tougher to learn
    because it is a little more cryptic, but it also has a great
    community. PHP is not tough to learn, but it is a lot less graceful
    than Ruby, Perl or Python. The PHP community is not always so kind.
    There are lots of jobs with PHP, but there is a lot of really badly
    designed software in PHP that is in use in companies too.

    From personal experience, I can assure you, maintaining or working
    with other people's code can be a pain. Open source and free software
    is wonderful, but has a (usually well-deserved) reputation for being
    messy and confusing. Ruby (and Python) tends to be really clean and
    fairly easy to read and maintain. PHP is usually a good example of
    mess. Perl is just very easy to make things very cryptic.

    You might do well to browse a bookstore on some of these frameworks.

    John Joyce, Oct 20, 2007
  8. Tj Superfly

    Tj Superfly Guest

    Basically, it's a simple program like this:

    list = []

    number = rand(list.length)

    puts list[number]

    I obviously have things in my array, but that's the extent of the
    program. Just to randomly put out something from my array.

    So no, I'm not even trying to create a website, I'm just looking for a
    way to put programs on the web for anyone to access and run.

    Tj Superfly, Oct 20, 2007