Ruby OS mentioned on /.

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Phil Tomson, Jan 13, 2004.

  1. Phil Tomson

    Phil Tomson Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:18:39 -0800, Phil Tomson wrote:

    > http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/04/01/13/0123250.shtml?tid=185&tid=190

    I submitted it at osnews, not expecting it to show up at slashdot.
    The osnews wave of visitors gave ~22000 hits in one day!

    the ROS project is about one month old and still in the planning state.

    Feel free to submit text to the wiki.
    * do you have ideas for how Ruby should be used in a os?
    * which features in your current os do you believe are vital?
    * POLS in an operating system, tell your opinion?

    http://ros.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?RecentChanges

    Thanks for huge interest.. it will be appreciated.

    --
    Simon Strandgaard
    Simon Strandgaard, Jan 13, 2004

  3. Phil Tomson

    Paul William Guest

    Paul William, Jan 13, 2004
  4. Phil Tomson

    Ralph Mason Guest

    Paul William wrote:

    >./ normally does not have vaporware... are a bunch of ruby (a very high
    >level language) programmers going learn asm?
    >
    >No offence intended.
    >

    >On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 08:21, Phil Tomson wrote:
    >

    >>http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/04/01/13/0123250.shtml?tid=185&tid=190

    Well, having written a few embedded operating systems, and plenty of
    assembler (& C & C++ & Java etc etc) in my time. I use ruby exactly
    because it is a very high level language. Perhaps it takes a low lever
    programmer to really appreciate it. I doubt I am alone in the ruby
    community.

    You could cause offense with those kinds of comments. Even if you don't
    intend to.

    Ralph
    Ralph Mason, Jan 13, 2004
  5. Phil Tomson

    Paul William Guest

    > Well, having written a few embedded operating systems, and plenty of
    > assembler (& C & C++ & Java etc etc) in my time. I use ruby exactly
    > because it is a very high level language.

    true. my bad :)

    --

    .''`. Paul William
    : :' : Debian admin and user
    Paul William, Jan 13, 2004
  6. Phil Tomson

    Paul William Guest

    > You could cause offense with those kinds of comments. Even if you don't
    > intend to.

    I am truely sorry I caused offence to anybody.

    --

    .''`. Paul William
    : :' : Debian admin and user
    Paul William, Jan 13, 2004
  7. Phil Tomson

    MikkelFJ Guest

    "Simon Strandgaard" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    > On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:18:39 -0800, Phil Tomson wrote:

    http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/04/01/13/0123250.shtml?tid=185&tid=190

    > I submitted it at osnews, not expecting it to show up at slashdot.
    > The osnews wave of visitors gave ~22000 hits in one day!
    >
    > the ROS project is about one month old and still in the planning state.

    I justed looked a bit at GnuStep yesterday. Apparently there is an Linux
    from Scratch inspired operating system named SimplyGnuStep that is entirely
    based around GnuStep for userinterface already from bootstrapping:

    http://simplygnustep.com/index.html

    http://linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2003101600626RVSW

    GnuStep is based around Objective C and is apparently compatible with Cocoa.

    It might be worthwhile looking into this with a Ruby centric approach.
    SimplyGnuStep isn't particularly mature at this point.

    MikkelFJ
    MikkelFJ, Jan 14, 2004
  8. Ralph Mason wrote:
    > Well, having written a few embedded operating systems, and plenty of
    > assembler (& C & C++ & Java etc etc) in my time. I use ruby exactly
    > because it is a very high level language. Perhaps it takes a low lever
    > programmer to really appreciate it. I doubt I am alone in the ruby
    > community.

    Same here. I was writing Assembler languages back when they and FORTRAN
    were the only languages that really mattered. I've programmed in
    FORTRAN, COBOL, ALGOL, PL/I, Pascal, several different BASICs, C, C++,
    Ada, REXX, RPG, and PERL, and I've dabbled some in LISP and half a dozen
    other languages. I've only been working with Ruby for a couple of
    weeks, and I can already see that, where raw CPU speed isn't a problem,
    I'm going to be using Ruby a lot.

    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "But now is a new thing which is very old--
    John W. Kennedy, Jan 14, 2004