Ruby OS mentioned on /.

Simon Strandgaard

I submitted it at osnews, not expecting it to show up at slashdot.
The osnews wave of visitors gave ~22000 hits in one day!

the ROS project is about one month old and still in the planning state.

Feel free to submit text to the wiki.
* do you have ideas for how Ruby should be used in a os?
* which features in your current os do you believe are vital?
* POLS in an operating system, tell your opinion?

http://ros.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?RecentChanges

Thanks for huge interest.. it will be appreciated.

Ralph Mason

Paul said:
./ normally does not have vaporware... are a bunch of ruby (a very high
level language) programmers going learn asm?

No offence intended.

Well, having written a few embedded operating systems, and plenty of
assembler (& C & C++ & Java etc etc) in my time. I use ruby exactly
because it is a very high level language. Perhaps it takes a low lever
programmer to really appreciate it. I doubt I am alone in the ruby
community.

You could cause offense with those kinds of comments. Even if you don't
intend to.

Ralph

Paul William

Well, having written a few embedded operating systems, and plenty of
assembler (& C & C++ & Java etc etc) in my time. I use ruby exactly
because it is a very high level language.

true. my bad :)

--

.''`. Paul William
: :' : Debian admin and user

Paul William

You could cause offense with those kinds of comments. Even if you don't
intend to.

I am truely sorry I caused offence to anybody.
--

.''`. Paul William
: :' : Debian admin and user

MikkelFJ

Simon Strandgaard said:
http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/04/01/13/0123250.shtml?tid=185&tid=190

I submitted it at osnews, not expecting it to show up at slashdot.
The osnews wave of visitors gave ~22000 hits in one day!

the ROS project is about one month old and still in the planning state.

I justed looked a bit at GnuStep yesterday. Apparently there is an Linux
from Scratch inspired operating system named SimplyGnuStep that is entirely
based around GnuStep for userinterface already from bootstrapping:

http://simplygnustep.com/index.html

http://linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2003101600626RVSW

GnuStep is based around Objective C and is apparently compatible with Cocoa.

It might be worthwhile looking into this with a Ruby centric approach.
SimplyGnuStep isn't particularly mature at this point.

MikkelFJ

John W. Kennedy

Ralph said:
Well, having written a few embedded operating systems, and plenty of
assembler (& C & C++ & Java etc etc) in my time. I use ruby exactly
because it is a very high level language. Perhaps it takes a low lever
programmer to really appreciate it. I doubt I am alone in the ruby
community.

Same here. I was writing Assembler languages back when they and FORTRAN
were the only languages that really mattered. I've programmed in
FORTRAN, COBOL, ALGOL, PL/I, Pascal, several different BASICs, C, C++,
Ada, REXX, RPG, and PERL, and I've dabbled some in LISP and half a dozen
other languages. I've only been working with Ruby for a couple of
weeks, and I can already see that, where raw CPU speed isn't a problem,
I'm going to be using Ruby a lot.

--
John W. Kennedy
"But now is a new thing which is very old--