Ruby Patriotism: Python+XML v. Ruby+YAML

why the lucky stiff

We've got a good old-fashioned derby going on in blogoland. Perhaps
some of you fully-vested shareholders can give me a hand here.

Some disparaging Ruby+XML benchmarks from yesterday:
http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/

And now I'm making a case for the speed of Ruby+YAML:
http://www.whytheluckystiff.net/

So, if this gets heated, I'll end it pronto. This isn't name-calling or
brute campaign (I hope). A friendly face-off. Like a pick-up game of
basketball.

Here's what you can do:

- I've opened a Wiki page. [http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/ThePickupGame]
Add your suggestions for improving our chances in the running.

- Check out the scripts [http://www.whytheluckystiff.net/ruby/yaml-vs-atom/]
and take a stab at improving the converter.

- Perhaps someone can better represent Ruby+XML? Can we benchmark
Ruby+libxml2? Any other good XML libs out there?

So what's the goal of this? Well, I'd just like to give Ruby a good
showing. I think we can make a tight case for using Ruby and YAML
together. And a chance to get some good Ruby code out in the eyes of
those who haven't seen it.

_why

why the lucky stiff

Mark said:
Has anyone benchmarked Python+YAML? You should account for all the variables.

-Mark

Once I've got the Ruby scripts working, I'll try with Python+Syck.
Problem is that none of the Python extensions are very mature. I get
abdominal pains navigating Python's C API. It's generally ok, until you
get into creating classes.

_why

Brett H. Williams

[...]

Ruby+libxml2 certainly works well, and borrows a lot of the nice API
concepts from REXML. Certainly it should be benchmarked if you're trying
to examine Ruby and XML together.

It's only drawback (other than library dependency on libxml2) is that it is
not documented. You just have to search the modules/classes and see what
methods are defined and figure out how to use them.

Certainly if you just want to throw out a number for parsing the file (like
for Python2.2 + libxml2) it's really easy to do.

Jim Freeze

Once I've got the Ruby scripts working, I'll try with Python+Syck.
Problem is that none of the Python extensions are very mature. I get
abdominal pains navigating Python's C API. It's generally ok, until you
get into creating classes.

Oh, so that explains the recent illness. :)