Ruby Patriotism: Python+XML v. Ruby+YAML

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by why the lucky stiff, Oct 8, 2003.

  1. We've got a good old-fashioned derby going on in blogoland. Perhaps
    some of you fully-vested shareholders can give me a hand here.

    Some disparaging Ruby+XML benchmarks from yesterday:
    http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/

    And now I'm making a case for the speed of Ruby+YAML:
    http://www.whytheluckystiff.net/

    So, if this gets heated, I'll end it pronto. This isn't name-calling or
    brute campaign (I hope). A friendly face-off. Like a pick-up game of
    basketball.

    Here's what you can do:

    - I've opened a Wiki page. [http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/ThePickupGame]
    Add your suggestions for improving our chances in the running.

    - Check out the scripts [http://www.whytheluckystiff.net/ruby/yaml-vs-atom/]
    and take a stab at improving the converter.

    - Perhaps someone can better represent Ruby+XML? Can we benchmark
    Ruby+libxml2? Any other good XML libs out there?

    So what's the goal of this? Well, I'd just like to give Ruby a good
    showing. I think we can make a tight case for using Ruby and YAML
    together. And a chance to get some good Ruby code out in the eyes of
    those who haven't seen it.

    _why

    why the lucky stiff, Oct 8, 2003

  2. Mark J. Reed () wrote:
    > Has anyone benchmarked Python+YAML? You should account for all the variables.
    >
    > -Mark

    Once I've got the Ruby scripts working, I'll try with Python+Syck.
    Problem is that none of the Python extensions are very mature. I get
    abdominal pains navigating Python's C API. It's generally ok, until you
    get into creating classes.

    _why

    why the lucky stiff, Oct 8, 2003

  3. On Oct 9, why the lucky stiff wrote:
    > We've got a good old-fashioned derby going on in blogoland. Perhaps
    > some of you fully-vested shareholders can give me a hand here.
    >
    > Some disparaging Ruby+XML benchmarks from yesterday:
    > http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/
    >
    > And now I'm making a case for the speed of Ruby+YAML:
    > http://www.whytheluckystiff.net/
    >
    > So, if this gets heated, I'll end it pronto. This isn't name-calling or
    > brute campaign (I hope). A friendly face-off. Like a pick-up game of
    > basketball.
    >
    > Here's what you can do:
    >
    > - I've opened a Wiki page. [http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/ThePickupGame]
    > Add your suggestions for improving our chances in the running.
    >
    > - Check out the scripts [http://www.whytheluckystiff.net/ruby/yaml-vs-atom/]
    > and take a stab at improving the converter.
    >
    > - Perhaps someone can better represent Ruby+XML? Can we benchmark
    > Ruby+libxml2? Any other good XML libs out there?

    Ruby+libxml2 certainly works well, and borrows a lot of the nice API
    concepts from REXML. Certainly it should be benchmarked if you're trying
    to examine Ruby and XML together.

    It's only drawback (other than library dependency on libxml2) is that it is
    not documented. You just have to search the modules/classes and see what
    methods are defined and figure out how to use them.

    Certainly if you just want to throw out a number for parsing the file (like
    for Python2.2 + libxml2) it's really easy to do.

    Brett H. Williams, Oct 8, 2003
  4. why the lucky stiff

    Jim Freeze Guest

    On Thursday, 9 October 2003 at 5:36:20 +0900, why the lucky stiff wrote:
    > Mark J. Reed () wrote:
    > > Has anyone benchmarked Python+YAML? You should account for all the variables.
    > >
    > > -Mark

    > Once I've got the Ruby scripts working, I'll try with Python+Syck.
    > Problem is that none of the Python extensions are very mature. I get
    > abdominal pains navigating Python's C API. It's generally ok, until you
    > get into creating classes.

    Oh, so that explains the recent illness. :)

    --
    Jim Freeze

    Jim Freeze, Oct 10, 2003