    Just can't understand why they put a giraffe on this one? Perl's
    camel has become a big part of it's image, but there just hasn't yet
    been an animal on a Ruby book that made sense.
    John Joyce, Aug 27, 2007

  2. On 27 Aug 2007, at 14:39, John Joyce wrote:

    > Just can't understand why they put a giraffe on this one? Perl's
    > camel has become a big part of it's image, but there just hasn't
    > yet been an animal on a Ruby book that made sense.

    AFAIK the Perl Camel originated from the 'Programming Perl' book. It
    doesn't make any more (or less!) sense than a giraffe for Ruby!

    Alex Gutteridge

    Bioinformatics Center
    Kyoto University
    Alex Gutteridge, Aug 27, 2007

  3. John Joyce

    Thomas Worm Guest

    On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 14:39:53 +0900, John Joyce wrote:

    > Just can't understand why they put a giraffe on this one? Perl's
    > camel has become a big part of it's image, but there just hasn't yet
    > been an animal on a Ruby book that made sense.

    Because they put animals on almost every book. The "camel book" comes
    from that as beeing a short reference to "Programming Perl" and not
    because programming or perl has something got to do with camels. If they
    would have put an eagle on it, "Programming Perl" would be known today as
    the "eagle book". But they just put a camel on it like they put a giraffe
    on the ruby book you mentioned. Just like that.

    Thomas
    Thomas Worm, Aug 27, 2007
  4. John Joyce

    Xavier Noria Guest

    On Aug 27, 2007, at 10:00 AM, Thomas Worm wrote:

    > On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 14:39:53 +0900, John Joyce wrote:
    >
    >> Just can't understand why they put a giraffe on this one? Perl's
    >> camel has become a big part of it's image, but there just hasn't yet
    >> been an animal on a Ruby book that made sense.

    > Because they put animals on almost every book. The "camel book" comes
    > from that as beeing a short reference to "Programming Perl" and not
    > because programming or perl has something got to do with camels. If
    > they
    > would have put an eagle on it, "Programming Perl" would be known
    > today as
    > the "eagle book". But they just put a camel on it like they put a
    > giraffe
    > on the ruby book you mentioned. Just like that.

    Indeed, the "eagle book" is the one about mod_perl, and the "llama
    book" is "Learning Perl". Incidentally Ruby has the "Pickaxe" due to
    the same reason, a pickaxe in the cover, though in this case you
    usually don't append "book" when you refer to it.

    -- fxn
    Xavier Noria, Aug 27, 2007
  5. On Aug 27, 3:58 am, Thomas Worm <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 14:39:53 +0900, John Joyce wrote:
    > > Just can't understand why they put a giraffe on this one? Perl's
    > > camel has become a big part of it's image, but there just hasn't yet
    > > been an animal on a Ruby book that made sense.

    > Because they put animals on almost every book.

    Since the item most associated with Ruby is a pickaxe (due to the book
    Programming Ruby), the appropriate O'Reilly animal should be whatever
    animal is known as "nature's pickaxe". I guess that's the giraffe. ;-)
    Karl von Laudermann, Aug 27, 2007
  6. John Joyce

    Kyle Schmitt Guest

    But ruby already _has_ animals.
    The cartoon foxes and blixie the cat.
    Kyle Schmitt, Aug 27, 2007
  7. John Joyce

    John Joyce Guest

    No, I'm not that dense, I know OREILLY chooses random animals at
    times, but sometimes they get a kind of them going with the animals
    for a language. (camel, llama... )
    Maybe it just seems that way... coincidental things...
    Same guy's Learning Ruby book has the same giraffe with a baby one
    too on the cover.
    oh well, I was hoping there would be some more interesting info
    behind this stuff.

    Maybe my mind just sees patterns where there are none. I seriously
    always visualize the cover of Programming Perl when I see or hear
    'camel caps'/'camel case'. When I see the book cover, I think of
    camel-case words...
    John Joyce, Aug 27, 2007
  8. John Joyce

    Todd Burch Guest

    John Joyce wrote:
    > oh well, I was hoping there would be some more interesting info
    > behind this stuff.
    >
    > Maybe my mind just sees patterns where there are none. I seriously
    > always visualize the cover of Programming Perl when I see or hear
    > 'camel caps'/'camel case'. When I see the book cover, I think of
    > camel-case words...

    I think we need to adopt Toto from The Wizard of Oz as the official Ruby
    animal.

    Todd
    Todd Burch, Aug 27, 2007
  9. John Joyce

    Kyle Schmitt Guest

    On 8/27/07, Todd Burch <> wrote:

    > I think we need to adopt Toto from The Wizard of Oz as the official Ruby
    > animal.
    >
    > Todd

    Because we need more people thinking rubyists are hopeless dreamers,
    living in la la land?
    Kyle Schmitt, Aug 27, 2007
  10. John Joyce

    Todd Burch Guest

    Kyle Schmitt wrote:
    > On 8/27/07, Todd Burch <> wrote:
    >
    >> I think we need to adopt Toto from The Wizard of Oz as the official Ruby
    >> animal.
    >>

    > Because we need more people thinking rubyists are hopeless dreamers,
    > living in la la land?

    What's wrong with being a hopeless dreamer?

    I could have gone nasty and said because Ruby performs like a dog, but I
    didn't.

    Toto was a cool dog. And, of course, that whole movie is about the Ruby
    slippers.
    Todd Burch, Aug 27, 2007
  11. I think the giraffes are what they've assigned to Ruby for some
    reason. Doesn't "Learning Ruby" also have giraffes?

    I think the cookbooks have dogs/wolves/dingos. So, what are they
    trying to say? We have freakishly huge necks and the mange? JERKS.

    --Jeremy

    --
    http://www.jeremymcanally.com/

    My free Ruby e-book:

    My blogs:
    http://www.mrneighborly.com/
    http://www.rubyinpractice.com/
    Jeremy McAnally, Aug 27, 2007
  12. John Joyce

    Kyle Schmitt Guest

    On 8/27/07, Jeremy McAnally <> wrote:
    > I think the giraffes are what they've assigned to Ruby for some
    > reason. Doesn't "Learning Ruby" also have giraffes?
    >
    > I think the cookbooks have dogs/wolves/dingos. So, what are they
    > trying to say? We have freakishly huge necks and the mange? JERKS.
    >
    > --Jeremy

    No, that our heads are in the clouds ;)
    Kyle Schmitt, Aug 27, 2007
  13. John Joyce

    Todd Benson Guest

    On 8/27/07, Kyle Schmitt <> wrote:
    > On 8/27/07, Jeremy McAnally <> wrote:
    > > I think the giraffes are what they've assigned to Ruby for some
    > > reason. Doesn't "Learning Ruby" also have giraffes?
    > >
    > > I think the cookbooks have dogs/wolves/dingos. So, what are they
    > > trying to say? We have freakishly huge necks and the mange? JERKS.
    > >
    > > --Jeremy

    > No, that our heads are in the clouds ;)

    No, that we have long reach.

    Todd
    Todd Benson, Aug 28, 2007
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Aug 28, 2007
  15. John Joyce

    Esmail Guest

    John Joyce wrote:
    > I picked up the new OREILLY book Ruby Pocket Reference today, by Michael
    > Fitzgerald.
    > I've got to say, it keeps with the high quality of almost every Ruby /
    > Rails book out there!
    > A nice little tomb that fits in your back pocket and actually has things
    > pretty well organized and answers those little things that you might
    > forget. It even has nice little glossary at the end. I highly recommend
    > this little friend for Ruby newbies!

    Thanks for posting this, I had not heard about this one. I'll have to
    check it out.

    Any idea how it compares with the "Ruby in a nutshell" O'Reilly Quick
    Reference?
    Esmail, Aug 28, 2007
  16. John Joyce

    Corey Jewett Guest

    On Aug 28, 2007, at 10:55 AM, Esmail wrote:

    > ok, so aside from the importance of the animal (!) .. what do folks
    > think
    > of the actual contents of this reference? Worth having? Accurate?

    I, for one, am terribly disappointed in what appears to be a lack of
    a digital version. I routinely use digital versions (PDF preferably)
    of pocket guides for quick references.

    Corey
    Corey Jewett, Aug 28, 2007
  17. Jeremy McAnally schrieb:
    > I think the giraffes are what they've assigned to Ruby for some
    > reason. Doesn't "Learning Ruby" also have giraffes?
    >
    > I think the cookbooks have dogs/wolves/dingos. So, what are they
    > trying to say? We have freakishly huge necks and the mange? JERKS.

    Not to forget the *billy goat* on Ruby in a Nutshell
    ftp://ftp.ora.com/pub/graphics/book_covers/hi-res/0596002149.jpg

    What say us this? scapegoat?

    Regards
    Jan
    Jan Friedrich, Aug 28, 2007
  18. John Joyce

    John Joyce Guest

    Ruby in a Nutshell is still interesting, but a bit out of date.

    the pocket reference is just the thing to have around for quickie
    lookups.
    Pretty good little book.
    John Joyce, Aug 29, 2007
  19. John Joyce

    Esmail Guest

    John Joyce wrote:
    > Ruby in a Nutshell is still interesting, but a bit out of date.
    >
    > the pocket reference is just the thing to have around for quickie lookups.
    > Pretty good little book.

    Great, thanks for the feedback!

    I was hoping to hear from other experienced Ruby folks regarding this.
    I kinda live in the boonies, so it will be difficult to take a look at
    this book myself.

    The Nutshell book is good indeed, but this one sounds rather promising
    too. Maybe others who have seen both will chime in.
    Esmail, Aug 29, 2007
  20. On 8/28/07, Corey Jewett <> wrote:

    > On Aug 28, 2007, at 10:55 AM, Esmail wrote:
    >
    > > ok, so aside from the importance of the animal (!) .. what do folks
    > > think
    > > of the actual contents of this reference? Worth having? Accurate?

    > I, for one, am terribly disappointed in what appears to be a lack of
    > a digital version. I routinely use digital versions (PDF preferably)
    > of pocket guides for quick references.

    Just wait a couple of weeks and it'll appear on oreilly.com, as they
    wait a bit to publish the PDF version.

    Keith
    Keith Fahlgren, Aug 29, 2007