RUBY port to HPUX 64-bit PA-RISC 11.11

jon.a.miller

-Can anyone direct me to a binary distribution of ruby
for 64-bit PA-RISC HP-UX 11.11.
-The HPUX Porting Centre does not list it.

Thanx in advance

Jamis Buck

-I failed to state for verions 1.8.2.....

At my previous job, we ran HPUX 11.x. To my knowledge, there is no
binary pre-built for Ruby 1.8.2 on HPUX. What is more, if you try to
build Ruby with pthread support, the build fails mysteriously. This
means (for example) that you cannot take advantage of the Oracle
bindings for Ruby on HPUX, because they bind to Oracle, which binds to
pthread...and Ruby won't load libraries that link pthread, unless it
has linked pthread itself. (Insert vicious cycle here.)

All in all, it was a very frustrating experience. Fortunately, my new
job does everything on BSD, which is well supported by Ruby, and MySQL,
which is also very well supported.

For those of you that are trying to use Ruby on HPUX, you have my
condolences. :( On the other hand, if you are more of a C guru than
myself, you might have better luck tracking down the segfaults that
occurred during the bootstrapping phase of building Ruby on HPUX. If
you do, your name will be praised by generations of HPUX users to come.

- Jamis

jon.a.miller

-Thank you for the reply...you confirmed our findings...frustration+
-It just seems strange, in the past we have read articles/papers on
HP's Open Source web site of Ruby being used internally by HP, yet no
ports.
-Unless someone else can enlighten us...Ruby is not a solution for HPUX
11.x...

nobu.nokada

Hi,

At Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:28:44 +0900,
Jamis Buck wrote in [ruby-talk:139454]:
At my previous job, we ran HPUX 11.x. To my knowledge, there is no
binary pre-built for Ruby 1.8.2 on HPUX. What is more, if you try to
build Ruby with pthread support, the build fails mysteriously. This

How does it fail?

Jamis Buck

Hi,

At Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:28:44 +0900,
Jamis Buck wrote in [ruby-talk:139454]:
At my previous job, we ran HPUX 11.x. To my knowledge, there is no
binary pre-built for Ruby 1.8.2 on HPUX. What is more, if you try to
build Ruby with pthread support, the build fails mysteriously. This

How does it fail?

The thread documenting my efforts begins here:
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/115767.
Basically, the miniruby bootstrapping interpreter is built fine, but
then the build dies with a core dump inside of the Shellwords module
(or another one--it usually died in Shellwords for me, but it died in
others on occassion).

- Jamis

nobu.nokada

Hi,

At Sun, 24 Apr 2005 11:12:04 +0900,
Jamis Buck wrote in [ruby-talk:139572]:
The thread documenting my efforts begins here:
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/115767.
Basically, the miniruby bootstrapping interpreter is built fine, but
then the build dies with a core dump inside of the Shellwords module
(or another one--it usually died in Shellwords for me, but it died in
others on occassion).

Sounds like GC issue. Could you try it with latest snapshot?

http://www.rubyist.net/~nobu/ruby/ruby18-20050423.tar.bz2
http://www.rubyist.net/~nobu/ruby/ruby19-20050423.tar.bz2

# The official snapshots stop now due to a security issue.

Jamis Buck

Hi,

At Sun, 24 Apr 2005 11:12:04 +0900,
Jamis Buck wrote in [ruby-talk:139572]:
The thread documenting my efforts begins here:
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/115767.
Basically, the miniruby bootstrapping interpreter is built fine, but
then the build dies with a core dump inside of the Shellwords module
(or another one--it usually died in Shellwords for me, but it died in
others on occassion).

Sounds like GC issue. Could you try it with latest snapshot?

http://www.rubyist.net/~nobu/ruby/ruby18-20050423.tar.bz2
http://www.rubyist.net/~nobu/ruby/ruby19-20050423.tar.bz2

# The official snapshots stop now due to a security issue.

I'd love to, but I've changed jobs and no longer have access to those
HPUX machines. I know Alexey was one who also had problems--are you
still around, Alexey? Do you still have access to HPUX?

- Jamis

Jamis Buck

Nobu,

I had some time to play with HPUX today, and the 1.8 snapshot you
posted works with --enable-pthread !

Wow, yes, this is fantastic news. I was extremely discouraged by the
problems getting Ruby to compile with --enable-pthread on HPUX.
Thank-you, Nobu! If I'm ever near an HPUX machine again, I'll certainly
be installing Ruby on it. ;)

- Jamis