Ruby program installed via RPM

Joe Van Dyk

Hi,

I need to install a Ruby program that's structured like:

bin/start_program.rb
lib/programlibs.rb (multiple files and subdirs here)
share/program.glade (xml file)
share/program.config (config file - should get installed to /etc)

1. Anyone aware of any tools that will help me package this up into
an installable RPM?

2. Where should the program's libraries get installed to?
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/program_subdir ?

Thanks,
Joe

Austin Ziegler

Hi,

I need to install a Ruby program that's structured like:

bin/start_program.rb
lib/programlibs.rb (multiple files and subdirs here)
share/program.glade (xml file)
share/program.config (config file - should get installed to /etc)

Why not use a gem?

-austin

Austin Ziegler

RubyGems is not authorized for use.

And ... what's the reasoning for this? I'm genuinely curious.

In answer to your question, I would follow the guidelines of setup.rb
and use setup.rb itself (see PDF::Writer for how setup.rb can be
extended to include non-Ruby files like your .glade files). Then I'd
wrap that in your RPM and cause "ruby setup.rb install" to be called
by the install script inside of the RPM.

However the hell you do that. ;)

-austin

Joe Van Dyk

And ... what's the reasoning for this? I'm genuinely curious.

Our company has rather strict policies on software. One of the
hazards of being a government contractor, I suppose.
In answer to your question, I would follow the guidelines of setup.rb
and use setup.rb itself (see PDF::Writer for how setup.rb can be
extended to include non-Ruby files like your .glade files). Then I'd
wrap that in your RPM and cause "ruby setup.rb install" to be called
by the install script inside of the RPM.

However the hell you do that. ;)

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Trans

Joe said:
Our company has rather strict policies on software. One of the
hazards of being a government contractor, I suppose.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

I've been _slowly_ working on one. Currently the system can generate a
basic .deb package and I have most of the code written for generating
an .rpm package too, but it's not quite done yet.

If you'd like to work together on it, let me know.

T.