Ruby Programming Exercises

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Warren Seltzer, Mar 10, 2006.

  1. ------=_NextPart_000_0181_01C6445F.EF3779D0

    I continually find that not having written a thousand lines or so of =
    plain Ruby is
    impairing my programming efforts in scripting and Rails. I'm looking =
    for a good set of
    homework exercises I can work through to bring up my Ruby skills. I'm =
    an experienced
    programmer, I've written hundreds of thousands of lines of code in my =
    life but I keep on
    having to look things up in the Ruby book. I'd feel better if I had a =
    deeper knowledge of
    Ruby.
    =20
    Ruby quizzes, anyone? I really liked the "C Puzzle Book" back in the =
    day. =20
    =20
    Warren
    =20
    =20

    ------=_NextPart_000_0181_01C6445F.EF3779D0--

    Warren Seltzer, Mar 10, 2006

  2. Farrel Lifson, Mar 10, 2006

  3. >

    Harold Hausman, Mar 10, 2006
  4. Warren Seltzer

    James H. Guest

    Check out The Ruby Course (http://ruby.brian-schroeder.de/course/). At
    the end of each section are some questions and exercises. They may not
    be terribly difficult, but they're very concept oriented, so they're
    definitely good practice.

    You could also try solving the puzzles in your "C Puzzle Book" too.
    Post your answers so we can take a peek while you're at it =)

    James

    James H., Mar 10, 2006
  5. On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 23:30:56 +0900, "Warren Seltzer"
    <> wrote:

    >I continually find that not having written a thousand lines or so of plain Ruby is
    >impairing my programming efforts in scripting and Rails. I'm looking for a good set of
    >homework exercises I can work through to bring up my Ruby skills. I'm an experienced
    >programmer, I've written hundreds of thousands of lines of code in my life but I keep on
    >having to look things up in the Ruby book. I'd feel better if I had a deeper knowledge of
    >Ruby.
    >
    >Ruby quizzes, anyone? I really liked the "C Puzzle Book" back in the day.
    >
    >Warren

    look up two posts.

    Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
    Think twice, code once.

    Thaddeus L Olczyk, Mar 10, 2006
  6. Warren Seltzer

    Roy Sutton Guest

    Check out this site:

    http://www.pyhthonchallenge.com

    Just solve each* puzzle with Ruby instead of Python. This will not only
    exercise your ruby knowledge but get you deep into gems and RubyForge.

    Roy

    * Puzzle #5 is about a particular Python operation that Ruby doesn't (to
    my knowlege) support so you'll have to solve it with Python or drop me
    an e-mail and I'll give you the solution.

    Roy Sutton, Mar 12, 2006
  7. Warren Seltzer

    Dirk Meijer Guest

    ------=_Part_6792_11264757.1142185428054

    2006/3/12, Roy Sutton <>:

    > Check out this site:
    >
    > http://www.pythonchallenge.com

    o my gosh...
    that is so awesome :D
    just can't seem to get past number 2 though :p

    ------=_Part_6792_11264757.1142185428054--

    Dirk Meijer, Mar 12, 2006