Ruby Programming for the Absolute Beginner

Robert Hicks

My son has just asked me about game programming. He is 9 years old. I
see a book about Python under the same title that gets good reviews.
Does anyone have any experience with the Ruby version? Supposedly it
teaches basics and goes through creating a game. So I can kill two
birds with one stone.

Robert

Phillip Gawlowski

Robert said:
My son has just asked me about game programming. He is 9 years old. I
see a book about Python under the same title that gets good reviews.
Does anyone have any experience with the Ruby version? Supposedly it
teaches basics and goes through creating a game. So I can kill two
birds with one stone.

Robert

There's Chris Pine's excellent Learn to Program[0], which does go down
to the basics of programming which incidentally uses Ruby as teaching
tool (An abbreviated version is on the webpage, but it is available in
book form).

And then there's Hackity Hack, a programming environment aimed at
youngsters.[1] _why seems to recommend ages 13 and up, but you know your
son best. ;)

I'd only attempt game programming after he has a more-or-less grounding
in traditional programming, though, and then look at gosu, Shattered
Ruby, or Rubygame.

-- Phillip Gawlowski

[0] http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/
[1] http://hacketyhack.net/