Ruby quiz idea

Robert Retzbach

Kev said:
http://www.norvig.com/java-lisp.html

This is is a bit of a challenge, see links in post for original coding
challenge. It'd be interesting to see how much time it'd take in Ruby
- Lisp 2 hours, C++ roughly 5.5 [1]

found on reddit.com

Is there a defined way to submit ruby quizes? I haven't looked at the
site, so feel free to wail and gnash teeth if it's clearly sign posted
anywhere

Kev

[1] http://userpages.umbc.edu/~bcorfm1/C++-vs-Lisp.html

Here is a paragraph from rubyquiz.com:

Can I Submit A Ruby Quiz Topic?
*Please do!* Ruby Quiz depends on community support. The only /goal/
we try to follow with the quizzes is to keep them pretty short (30
minutes to an hour to solve for the average coder). This is
obviously vague, so use your best judgment. We're interested in fun
little diversions, not a massive time sink. Send all submissions to
James Edward Gray II
the Ruby Quiz Administrator. Please indicate whether or not you
would like to do the Summary for your topic in your submission
message. Feel free to submit as often as you like.

Timothy Goddard

I couldn't wait to do this but won't share yet in case it gets used. It
took me 2 hours, 35 minutes to complete. It accepts a dictionary file
on the command line, accepts phone numbers through the standard input
to allow interactive use and works for the tests described in the
specification and a few of my own.

My only concern is that when attempting to use it with '--dict
/usr/share/dict/words' it went beserk and ate through about half a gig
of real RAM and half a gig of swap before I could kill it! I didn't
realise all the letters of the alphabet and the entire table of
elements were in there!

I've only been using ruby for about 1 1/2 months and have been
programming for work purposes for the same length of time. I expect to
be very thoroughly beaten both in terms of programming effort and
efficiency.