Ruby report generation tool

Gregory Brown

I will be releasing the User's Manual for my report generation and
templating system Ruport tomorrow. The reason why I am releasing it
before the initial release of Ruport itself (August 28) is because I am
looking for a few brave souls to attempt installing and running Ruport
so that they can help me streamline the installation process. I
currently can only be sure that Ruport will work with MySQL and MS SQL.
(Though theoretically it should be able to access any DBs that ruby-dbi
does, it has not yet been tested) Anyone using other DBs are encouraged
to take a look through the manual and let me know how I'd do what I'm
doing for your particular system. Ruport is now on CVS and is being
actively developed on in the rush for release. I am currently using
setup.rb to install it, but James Edward Gray II will be preparing a
gem specification for Ruport tonight or tomorrow.

If anyone is interested in taking a walk through the manual to both
test out Ruport and help improve it before it's first release, please
feel free to let me know on or off list.

I will not post again tomorrow announcing the release of the manual,
because I've spammed ruby-talk enough already. But you will be able to
find it at:

http://ruport.rubyforge.org

There will be some news articles regarding development as well on this
weblog:

http://stonecode.org/blog

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to see suggestions on
how to improve the setup and install process but just testing them out
to see if they work would be quite helpful. For people fearful that
Ruport will be impossible to install, do not run away yet,
the features that require excessive effort are basically add on
features, and you will still be able to use Ruport for most of your
general reporting needs. The special features are cool though, and I'd
like to make them easy to enable.

I'll announce Ruport on Sunday when it's complete. Otherwise, please
let me know if you're interested in being a test driver and I'll do my
best to get the manual up tomorrow afternoon.

-Greg