Ruby | Ruby on Rails | database MS SQL Server 2005

Erstwhile Joe

How can I configure Ruby and Ruby on Rails for use with MS SQL Server
2005?

Environment:
* Ruby 1.8.6-25 (windows)
* Ruby on Rails 1.2.3
* ruby-dbi 0.1.1 (installed with dbi,dbd_ado)
* OS: Windows XP Professional sp4
* Database: MS SQL Server Express 2005 (bonus and on MS SQL Server
2000)

I have attempted to use the following definitions:

development:
adapter: sqlserver
database: event_development
username: sa
password: password
host: DBI:ADO:provider=SQLNCLI;Data Source=localhost;Initial
Catalog=event_development;User Id=sa;Password=password;

development:
adapter: sqlserver
database: event_development
username: sa
password: password
host: localhost

development:
adapter: sqlserver
database: event_development
username: sa
password: password
host: localhost
mode: DBI:ADO
provider: SQLNCLI

Any help will be appreciated!

Mark Gallop

Hi Joe,

Erstwhile said:
How can I configure Ruby and Ruby on Rails for use with MS SQL Server
2005?

I haven't used ADO but have been successfully using ODBC to connect to a
mssql server. This is how I created the connection:

ActiveRecord::Base.establish_connection( :adapter => 'sqlserver',
:mode => 'odbc',
:dsn => 'MyDSName',
:username => 'bob',
:password => 'bob')

I added bob as a local user (maybe domain users also work) and created
the ODBC connection called MyDSName.

Cheers,
Mark

rubygujarat

Hi Joe,

I haven't used ADO but have been successfully using ODBC to connect to a
mssql server. This is how I created the connection:

ActiveRecord::Base.establish_connection( :adapter => 'sqlserver',
:mode => 'odbc',
:dsn => 'MyDSName',
:username => 'bob',
:password => 'bob')

I added bob as a local user (maybe domain users also work) and created
the ODBC connection called MyDSName.

Cheers,
Mark

hi
Can you kindly helpo me more on this.

I am using sql2005 express on my machine.

My server name is : RubyGujarat
username:- sa
password:- mytest

can you help me , how should i mention this in the code given by you
above.

Thanks

IronRuby

Damjan Rems

unknown said:
hi
Can you kindly helpo me more on this.

I am using sql2005 express on my machine.

My server name is : RubyGujarat
username:- sa
password:- mytest

can you help me , how should i mention this in the code given by you
above.

Thanks

IronRuby

development:
# adapter: mssqlclient
adapter: sqlserver
database: mydb
host: localhost # or myhost.at.com
username: myName
password: myPwd
charset: unicode

This was my configuration back when I was testing some stuff. My problem
was that all number type fields (real, double, fix...) were returned as
null and it was useless for me.

You can also try mssqlclient.

by
TheR