ruby/SDL question

Ferenc Engard

Hi all!

I am thinking to write a game in ruby, and I have found this library.
The problem is, that I have downloaded the
rubysdl-0.9.3-win32bin-ruby18.lzh file, and cannot decompress it. Do
anybody uses this library, especially this binary package?

Thanks,
Ferenc

Florian Gross

Ferenc said:
I am thinking to write a game in ruby, and I have found this library.
The problem is, that I have downloaded the
rubysdl-0.9.3-win32bin-ruby18.lzh file, and cannot decompress it. Do
anybody uses this library, especially this binary package?

Use Izarc, it is available from http://www.izsoft.dir.bg/apps/IZArc34.exe

You might also want to have a look at the Ruby/Gosu gaming library. It
can do quite a bit more than SDL, but does not work perfectly on
non-Windows platforms yet. It's available at
http://www.raschke.de/julian/gosu/

gltewalt

Logan said:
Another option is RUDL which like Ruby/SDL is an SDL binding for ruby.

http://rudl.sourceforge.net/

Except RUDl factors out more low level tinkering than ruby/sdl.
It has built in methods to help deal with collision detection, etc.
RUDL is essentially pyGame for Ruby, cleaned up abit to do away with
what the author disliked about pyGame

Ferenc Engard

Except RUDl factors out more low level tinkering than ruby/sdl.
It has built in methods to help deal with collision detection, etc.
RUDL is essentially pyGame for Ruby, cleaned up abit to do away with
what the author disliked about pyGame

I plan for a strategy (board) game, I choosed SDL because of its
popularity (it is not bad to learn it), and because it is
multi-platform. I currently use it only for sound playing.

Meanwhile I could decompress the package with the debian-package lha.
But, if the package maintainer reads this, there are plenty of great and
free compressed formats, why did you chose an obscure one (even in lzh
with an obscure method, which do not recognize many lzh depackers) where
it is a separate project for the user to find a depacker utility? :-O

Thank you for the answers.

Ferenc