ruby spreadsheet german umlaute

zak

Hi!

I'm having a problem with ruby's spreadsheet gem.
while
book = Spreadsheet.open 'aou/a.xls'
works,
book = Spreadsheet.open 'äöü/a.xls'
does not (both paths exist).

is there a solution?

regards!

Jonathan Nielsen

Hi!

I'm having a problem with ruby's spreadsheet gem.
while
book =3D Spreadsheet.open 'aou/a.xls'
works,
book =3D Spreadsheet.open '=C3=A4=C3=B6=C3=BC/a.xls'
does not (both paths exist).

is there a solution?

regards!
Hi,

Are you running Windows with Ruby 1.9.1? I know that unicode filename
support in Windows is kind of buggy. I've seen it suggested that upgrading
to the ruby-1.9.2-preview helps a lot, you might try that.

-Jonathan Nielsen

zak

Hi,

Are you running Windows with Ruby 1.9.1?  I know that unicode filename
support in Windows is kind of buggy.  I've seen it suggested that upgrading
to the ruby-1.9.2-preview helps a lot, you might try that.

-Jonathan Nielsen

Hello,

I'm still sticking to 1.8.6...so probably updating is agood idea :)

Thanks

Jonathan Nielsen

Hello,

I'm still sticking to 1.8.6...so probably updating is agood idea :)

Thanks
If you are using a 1.8.x, it might be as simple as setting $KCODE to 'U' or
running ruby with -KU

Try it out anyway, I don't know if that works or not...

-Jonathan Nielsen