Ruby-Syntax capable editors for OS X?

Michael Fivis

Hello, fellow OS X Ruby fans. I was wondering if there was any nice
Cocoa/Carbon (with ruby highlighting/features) editor that you
use/know about?

I've been using the collaborative text editor, SubEthaEdit, which I
enjoy a lot -- and hope to enjoy even more now that Rendezvous has
been unleashed for all platforms (which would mean someone is going to
write compatible Rendezvous text editors for windows/linux).

Jim Menard

Michael,
Hello, fellow OS X Ruby fans. I was wondering if there was any nice
Cocoa/Carbon (with ruby highlighting/features) editor that you
use/know about?

Emacs runs in Terminal, and with ruby-mode.el (or whatever it's called) you
can have colorized/highlighted text.

Jim

Michael Fivis

I liked vim and ruby.vim was nice, but I like literally being able to
drag and drop text with cocoa

Charles Mills

I liked vim and ruby.vim was nice, but I like literally being able to
drag and drop text with cocoa
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this (haven't gotten through all
of this mornings posts yet), but BBEdit.
BBEdit costs money, although you can download a free trial version
http://www.barebones.com/index.shtml
BBEdit supports ruby syntax highlighting - including all types of
quoted strings and regexps.
I have been using BBEdit (and vim) to do all my development for about 6
months (since I got my mac) and it works for me. BBEdit has excellent
search / replace capabilities (supports regular expressions with pretty
much the same syntax as those used in Ruby - the only difference I have
noticed is \r matches a newline instead of \n).
Anyway, I like it and if your looking for an editor with a GUI I
suggest you try it.
-Charlie

Karl von Laudermann

Michael Fivis said:
Hello, fellow OS X Ruby fans. I was wondering if there was any nice
Cocoa/Carbon (with ruby highlighting/features) editor that you
use/know about?

I just use Xcode, which supports syntax coloring of Ruby code. It also
allows you navigate between methods using the method drop-down list at
the top of the window.

However, its interpretation of Ruby syntax is not perfect. For
example, it doesn't treat regular expressions as atomic (a la string
literals), so if you have something like this:

foo = /"/

It will highlight everything from the " character onward as a string,
until it hits another " character. I get around this by using a
comment like so:

foo = /"/ #"

BTW, I recently bought TextWrangler, which I was surprised and
disappointed to discover *doesn't* include Ruby among the languages
that it can syntax-color. Especially since it does support Perl and
Python, as well as some that I would assume there to be little demand
for such as Object Pascal and Rez.

Gavin Kistner

BBEdit ($) has a Ruby syntax highlighter and function navigation
plugin available:

Plus the ability to run ruby code right from the editor and save the
results to a file, display in a new or common window, and more.