[ruby-talk] Ruby based SMTP server?

Peter Smith [gjfc]

People,

I have sendmail working on my linux box.

Since I can use sendmail to send e-mails, would it be easy to write a
simple ruby
class which listens for data on port 25?

Then, if it gets some data, it just passes it to sendmail.

Do any of you know if such a simple script is floating around somewhere
on the net?

....Peter
http://GoodJobFastCar.com

dan.bikle

Paul,

Good question.

I'm want to provide an SMTP server to an instance of Oracle Enterprise
Manager Grid Control (GC).

GC mails out 'alerts' to administrators when events happen (Oracle out
of space,
Linux Load too high, etc ...).

These e-mails are dependent on an SMTP server.

I wish that GC could be configured to make use of sendmail but Oracle
does
not offer that functionality.

I need an SMTP server.

....Peter
http://GoodJobFastCar.com

Florian Frank

I wish that GC could be configured to make use of sendmail but Oracle
does
not offer that functionality.

I need an SMTP server.
sendmail is a SMTP server. You (or someone who knows how to do it) might
want to configure it and run it as a server at port 25.

Francis Cianfrocca

Paul,

Good question.

I'm want to provide an SMTP server to an instance of Oracle Enterprise
Manager Grid Control (GC).

GC mails out 'alerts' to administrators when events happen (Oracle out
of space,
Linux Load too high, etc ...).

These e-mails are dependent on an SMTP server.

I wish that GC could be configured to make use of sendmail but Oracle
does
not offer that functionality.

I need an SMTP server.

Take a look at EventMachine. If this looks like it will work for you,
let me know. I have an SMTP protocol-handler written for EM.