    on the net?

    ....Peter
    http://GoodJobFastCar.com

    Peter Smith [gjfc], Dec 6, 2006

  2. Peter Smith [gjfc]

    Guest

    Re: Ruby based SMTP server?

    Paul,

    Good question.

    I'm want to provide an SMTP server to an instance of Oracle Enterprise
    Manager Grid Control (GC).

    GC mails out 'alerts' to administrators when events happen (Oracle out
    of space,
    Linux Load too high, etc ...).

    These e-mails are dependent on an SMTP server.

    I wish that GC could be configured to make use of sendmail but Oracle
    does
    not offer that functionality.

    I need an SMTP server.

    ....Peter
    http://GoodJobFastCar.com

    Paul Lutus wrote:
    > Peter Smith [gjfc] wrote:
    >
    > > People,
    > >
    > > I have sendmail working on my linux box.
    > >
    > > Since I can use sendmail to send e-mails, would it be easy to write a
    > > simple ruby
    > > class which listens for data on port 25?
    > >
    > > Then, if it gets some data, it just passes it to sendmail.

    > Perhaps it would help if you were to tell us what you are trying to
    > accomplish. Why are you trying to add a layer between applications and
    > sendmail?
    >
    > --
    > Paul Lutus
    > http://www.arachnoid.com

    , Dec 6, 2006

  3. Re: Ruby based SMTP server?

    wrote:
    > I wish that GC could be configured to make use of sendmail but Oracle
    > does
    > not offer that functionality.
    >
    > I need an SMTP server.

    sendmail is a SMTP server. You (or someone who knows how to do it) might
    want to configure it and run it as a server at port 25.

    --
    Florian Frank

    Florian Frank, Dec 6, 2006
  4. Re: Ruby based SMTP server?

    On 12/6/06, <> wrote:
    > Paul,
    >
    > Good question.
    >
    > I'm want to provide an SMTP server to an instance of Oracle Enterprise
    > Manager Grid Control (GC).
    >
    > GC mails out 'alerts' to administrators when events happen (Oracle out
    > of space,
    > Linux Load too high, etc ...).
    >
    > These e-mails are dependent on an SMTP server.
    >
    > I wish that GC could be configured to make use of sendmail but Oracle
    > does
    > not offer that functionality.
    >
    > I need an SMTP server.

    Take a look at EventMachine. If this looks like it will work for you,
    let me know. I have an SMTP protocol-handler written for EM.

    Francis Cianfrocca, Dec 6, 2006