Ruby (tied with Perl/sh) wins scripting languageshootout...slashdot...

Richard Kilmer

From the summary:

"Folks at the Scriptometer conducted a practical survey of which scripting
language is the best. While question like that is bound to generate
flamewars between the usual Perl vs PHP, Python vs Perl, VBScript vs
everything crowds, the Scriptometer survey is practical: if I have to write
a script, I have to write it fast, it has to be small (less typing), it
should allow me to either debug itself via a debugger or just verbose output
mode. sh, Perl and Ruby won the competition, and with the difference of 1-2
points they were essentially tied for first place. Smalltalk, tcc, C# and
Java are the last ones, with Java being completely unusable in scripting
environment (part of that could be the fact that neither Java nor C# are
scripting languages). See the 'Hello world' examples and the smallest code
examples. Interesting that ICFP contests lately pronounced OCaml as the
winner for rapid development."

Link:

http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/06/12/2125229&mode=thread&t
id=126&tid=156

Sweet,

-rich

gabriele renzi

il Sun, 13 Jun 2004 13:16:53 +0900, Richard Kilmer
<[email protected]> ha scritto::

funny that the referenced page if from Pixel's merd web site, and near
an year old. I mean, its funny cause I had not saw him on this list
recently, I wonder wht is the next scripting language he moved to :)

tony summerfelt

"Folks at the Scriptometer conducted a practical survey of which scripting
language is the best.

it's interesting how quickly some languages break down pretty quickly
near the end. i expected java, c++/#...i was pleasantly vindicated to
see that python caved also...

i was really surprised that lua fell a bit short.

i wasn't surprised to see perl and ruby near the top. tcl also faired
better than i thought it would..