    antialiased font to Ruby/Tk?

    Thanks,
    Bill
    Bill Atkins, May 14, 2004

  2. Hi,

    From: (Bill Atkins)
    Subject: Ruby/Tk Questions
    Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 04:33:51 +0900
    > Does it open an external tcl process;

    No.
    The ancient version of Ruby/Tk uses interprocess communication
    with the Tcl/Tk (wish) process.

    > does it include the Tcl libraries and run Tk in-process;

    Current Ruby/Tk links Tcl and Tk libraries and works on one
    process (except native threads created in Tcl/Tk libraries).
    So, supported features (widget, option, and so on) depend on
    the linked Tcl/Tk linbrary version. And Ruby/Tk can controll
    all features of the linked Tcl/Tk libraries by Tk.ip_invoke
    or Tk.ip_eval as if the features are introduced after the
    latest Ruby/Tk release (including unknown Tcl/Tk extension).

    > has all the Tcl/Tk code been ported into Ruby/Tk so that Tcl
    > isn't necessary?

    No.
    Ruby/Tk uses native Tcl/Tk libraries. Therefore, needs both
    of Tcl and Tk libraries.
    Some features of Tcl/Tk are supported by Tcl/Tk's library
    scripts. If need to make the features work, linked Tcl/Tk
    libraries must be able to access the library scripts.

    > Also, does Ruby/Tk support antialiasing? I know the latest versions
    > of Perl/Tk do. If not, are there any plans to port Perl/Tk's
    > antialiased font to Ruby/Tk?

    Based on 'New Tcl/Tk8.5 features',
    anti-aliased font support on X-Windows (already supported on Win/Mac)
    (see http://www.tcl.tk/software/tcltk/8.5.html).
    It means that Ruby/Tk supports antialiased font if your Ruby/Tk
    works with libraries of Tcl/Tk8.5.
    Please check your Tcl/Tk version by Tk::TK_PATCHLEVEL.
    Ruby/Tk on latest CVS is tested with the latest version of Tcl/Tk
    (develop:8.5a1 and stable:8.4.6).
    --
    Hidetoshi NAGAI ()
    Hidetoshi NAGAI, May 16, 2004