    programming. Object-orientation is still a bit new to me, but I can hack
    it ;)
    , Apr 29, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I am trying to learn Ruby, reading the "pickaxe" book v 2.0. It seems
    > pretty decent. However, I am looking for something different. Firstly, I
    > want something that has assignments in it - something to prove to myself
    > that I have grasped the concepts introduced in the preceeding chapter.
    >
    > The other thing I'd like is a book that is written for a specific
    > IDE/editor, instead of irb. I'm used to writing in vi, but I want to get
    > away from that 1980s style of programming (part of my whole change of
    > attitude which is resulting in my studying Ruby).
    >
    > I don't have a lot of money, so I can't afford to take a college course.
    > But, I would like that college textbook (without the college textbook
    > cost).
    >
    > I'm experienced with C, so I don't need to be completely spoon-fed
    > programming. Object-orientation is still a bit new to me, but I can hack
    > it ;)

    Welcome to Ruby!

    Regarding your requirement that the book target a specific editor, I
    don't think any such book exists. I suspect publishers would be afraid
    of limiting their sales to such a tiny market! Besides, which editor/IDE
    would you pick? Every "which is the best Ruby IDE?" post here gets 75
    answers, each one advocating a different editor or IDE. (Short answer:
    there is no "best.")

    Check out my review of Peter Cooper's "Beginning Ruby" from Apress, on
    Slashdot: http://books.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/04/23/1429230.
    Cooper doesn't have any "assignments" but he does have a lot of example
    programs that may substitute.
    Timothy Hunter, Apr 29, 2007

  3. John Joyce Guest

    what system do you have to work on?
    That will determine your IDE / editor choices.
    You have C experience? Great. Not much Object experience? No problem.
    Ruby makes it more transparent than most.
    You want assignments?
    Me too.
    So check out Beginning Ruby: From Novice to Professional
    and there is always Best of Ruby Quiz.
    Otherwise have the pickaxe handy for looking up stuff.
    once you feel you got it down, start making something. Even if it is
    translating an app from another language to the Ruby way. That can be
    great and useful.
    John Joyce, Apr 29, 2007
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Apr 29, 2007
  5. Philip Gatt Guest

    I'm a textmate/vim user, but I sure would love an editor with bundled
    rdoc. Alt-tabbing gets annoying.

    Philip Gatt, Apr 29, 2007
  6. Raj Sahae Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I am trying to learn Ruby, reading the "pickaxe" book v 2.0. It seems
    > pretty decent. However, I am looking for something different. Firstly, I
    > want something that has assignments in it - something to prove to myself
    > that I have grasped the concepts introduced in the preceeding chapter.
    >
    > The other thing I'd like is a book that is written for a specific
    > IDE/editor, instead of irb. I'm used to writing in vi, but I want to get
    > away from that 1980s style of programming (part of my whole change of
    > attitude which is resulting in my studying Ruby).
    >
    > I don't have a lot of money, so I can't afford to take a college course.
    > But, I would like that college textbook (without the college textbook
    > cost).
    >
    > I'm experienced with C, so I don't need to be completely spoon-fed
    > programming. Object-orientation is still a bit new to me, but I can hack
    > it ;)

    My personal preference happens to be the Pragmatic Programmers Ruby
    book. I don't know why I like it so much. It gives the information in
    a very specific, laid out format, with clear examples. It doesn't have
    assignments in it, and it gives examples in irb, so it doesn't meet your
    reqs there. A book I came across that had that structure (besides "Best
    of RubyQuiz"), was "Everyday Scripting with Ruby" by Brian Marick. It's
    not as comprehensive, but it contains questions/assignments at the end
    of every section, and it's examples are geared towards more realistic,
    applicable problems.

    Raj Sahae
    Raj Sahae, Apr 29, 2007
  7. M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

    > Timothy Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> Regarding your requirement that the book target a specific editor, I
    >> don't think any such book exists. I suspect publishers would be afraid
    >> of limiting their sales to such a tiny market! Besides, which editor/IDE
    >> would you pick? Every "which is the best Ruby IDE?" post here gets 75
    >> answers, each one advocating a different editor or IDE. (Short answer:
    >> there is no "best.")
    >>

    > There may be no "best", but there's certainly a rather short list. On a
    > Mac, the overwhelming favorite appears to be TextMate. On Linux, I think
    > "vim" is more popular than "emacs", but both are often used. Other
    > likely candidates are FreeRide, SciTe, Eclipse, Komodo, Sapphire In
    > Steel, RadRails and KDevelop. The jRuby folks like NetBeans and maybe
    > jEdit.
    >
    > That's a bunch but nowhere near 75, and I'll bet you that most Mac
    > Rubyists would answer TextMate, most Linux Rubyists would answer "vim"
    > plus "irb", and most Windows users would answer with whatever is bundled
    > in the One-Click Installer and Instant Rails these days. There are
    > probably only five serious contenders over all.
    >
    > I'm guessing Komodo 4.5 will change all that, however. :)

    I said 75 answers, not 75 editors.
    Timothy Hunter, Apr 29, 2007
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Apr 29, 2007
  9. John Joyce Guest

    On Apr 29, 2007, at 11:07 AM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

    oh, let's not be nitpicky like C programmers!

    Yes, Everyday Scripting With Ruby is an excellent book! Lots of great
    real world examples and exercises, in a text book/tutorial format.
    very practical, hands on stuff.
    John Joyce, Apr 29, 2007
  10. On 4/28/07, Philip Gatt <> wrote:
    > I'm a textmate/vim user, but I sure would love an editor with bundled
    > rdoc. Alt-tabbing gets annoying.

    If you're on OS X, there's also a Dashboard widget for RDoc. It might
    be even more annoying than alt-tabbing, though, depending on what you
    like. I dig it, though, because I don't even need to use a bookmark
    and a browser to get to RDoc or the Rails API. Both pop up when I hit
    F12. It's got a niftiness to it.

    http://widgets.precisionis.com.au/

    Anyway, speaking generally, I don't think editors are anywhere near as
    important in Ruby as they are in other languages. The IDE thing is a
    constant debate, but the **reason** it's a constant debate is because
    so many Rubyists don't use IDEs at all. If that's what floats your
    boat, go for it, more power to you, but a Ruby book which was
    organized around a specific IDE, that's like a book on Chinese food
    organized around the knife and the fork.

    --
    Giles Bowkett
    http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
    Giles Bowkett, May 1, 2007