Ruby uninstall and fresh install

Shreyas Satish

Everything was working fine , until we decided to upgrade ruby to 1.8.7
from 1.8.6, and thats when all hell broke loose. When we compiled Ruby
1.8.7 from source it got installed into /usr/local/bin and Ruby 1.8.6
stayed in /usr/bin. Currently, we've uninstalled ruby 1.8.6 and by some
stroke we deleted the ruby 1.8.7 files from /usr/local.

when we try "which ruby" it points to /usr/local. If anybody could help
us out what we need to do get back on track , we would be very
grateful.and also any idea how we can uninstall ruby from /usr/local. we
tried yum remove ruby , which removed ruby from /usr/bin.Thanks and
Cheers !

Brian Candler

Shreyas said:
when we try "which ruby" it points to /usr/local.

In some shells, "rehash" will do what you want, but otherwise just
logout and login again.
and also any idea how we can uninstall ruby from /usr/local.

Just remove the files. For example, use

ls -lrt /usr/local/bin

to see which files were installed in that directory with the same
timestamp and are probably parts of ruby, then delete them: e.g.

rm /usr/local/bin/{ruby,erb,irb,testrb}

Then check under the rest of /usr/local:

ls -lrtR /usr/local

Probably you will need:

rm -rf /usr/local/lib/ruby

rm -rf /usr/local/lib/libruby*

Maybe a few stragglers in /usr/local/man, /usr/local/share/doc etc