Ruby upgrade - Newbie question

Rainer Thiel

Hallo,
I want to upgrade from 1.8.2 to 1.8.4 - Windows XP
The one-click installer does not allow me to install over the existing
version.
I am concerned about all the gems i have, do not want to reinstall them.
Do i proceed as follows?
1. Install 1.8.4 to a new location.
2. Prune my gems tree from old to new.
3. Do a gem update.
Is that the right approach? Or is it simpler?
Thanks
Rainer

Austin Ziegler

Hallo,
I want to upgrade from 1.8.2 to 1.8.4 - Windows XP
The one-click installer does not allow me to install over the existing
version.
I am concerned about all the gems i have, do not want to reinstall them.
Do i proceed as follows?
1. Install 1.8.4 to a new location.
2. Prune my gems tree from old to new.
3. Do a gem update.

Reinstall them. If there are binary gems involved, you will not be
able to run the older binary gems with the 1.8.4 Ruby for Windows.

The Windows build situation is a bit of a mess right now, but
discussions have recently restarted with Microsoft on ways that this
can be resolved.

-austin