Ruby vs. Python vs. Perl

Michael McGarry

Hi,

I am looking for a good general purpose scripting language. What are the
differences between Ruby, Python and Perl. Which is better?

What should I use for GUI development (Qt, Tk, or ??)?

Thanks for any advice,

Michael

Randy W. Sims

Michael said:
Hi,

I am looking for a good general purpose scripting language. What are the
differences between Ruby, Python and Perl. Which is better?

None are better. They are all great languages with great communities.
Learn them all. Start with the one that most appeals to you.
What should I use for GUI development (Qt, Tk, or ??)?

or Gtk or wxWindows...

Randy.

gabriele renzi

Michael McGarry ha scritto:
Hi,

I am looking for a good general purpose scripting language. What are the
differences between Ruby, Python and Perl. Which is better?

the better is the one that better fits your way of thinking.
For most of people here it is ruby, but probably for those on c.l.py or
c.l.pe there is a different answer :)

tentative answer:
perl is anarchy
python owns your thought
ruby's in beetween

Given that this is a permathread, please take a look at:
http://www.ruby-doc.org/RubyEyeForThePythonGuy.html
for py vs ruby, and for perl vs ruby:
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?RubyVsPerl
for perl vs python I don't know, maybe:
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PythonVsPerl
What should I use for GUI development (Qt, Tk, or ??)?

see here:
http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?ComparingGuiToolkits/TakeTwo
Thanks for any advice,

well, whatever you choice is, good luck :)

Michael McGarry

gabriele said:
Michael McGarry ha scritto:

the better is the one that better fits your way of thinking.
For most of people here it is ruby, but probably for those on c.l.py or
c.l.pe there is a different answer :)

tentative answer:
perl is anarchy
python owns your thought
ruby's in beetween

Given that this is a permathread, please take a look at:
http://www.ruby-doc.org/RubyEyeForThePythonGuy.html
for py vs ruby, and for perl vs ruby:
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?RubyVsPerl
for perl vs python I don't know, maybe:
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PythonVsPerl

see here:
http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?ComparingGuiToolkits/TakeTwo

well, whatever you choice is, good luck :)

Thank you very much Gabriele for the tips.

Michael

David Ross

Michael said:
Hi,

I am looking for a good general purpose scripting language. What are
the differences between Ruby, Python and Perl. Which is better?
very once and a while someone opens this same thread. Well.. there are
plenty of differences.
What should I use for GUI development (Qt, Tk, or ??)?
WideStudio. It supports C/C++, Perl, Ruby, and Python. So the APIs are
the same. No learning 2 million APIs per toolkit.

http://www.widestudio.org/EE/index.html

The APIs are the same in every langauge so its easy, unlike most
bindings for toolkits out there.

David Ross
--
Want to see others who are interested in Ruby?
See more Info at [ Website: http://www.rubymine.org/?q=IRC ]

Hazzle free packages for Ruby?
RPA is available from [ Website: http://www.rubyarchive.org/ ]