    What should I use for GUI development (Qt, Tk, or ??)?

    Thanks for any advice,

    Michael

    Michael McGarry, Dec 12, 2004

  2. Michael McGarry wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for a good general purpose scripting language. What are the
    > differences between Ruby, Python and Perl. Which is better?

    None are better. They are all great languages with great communities.
    Learn them all. Start with the one that most appeals to you.

    > What should I use for GUI development (Qt, Tk, or ??)?

    or Gtk or wxWindows...

    Randy.

    Randy W. Sims, Dec 12, 2004

  3. Michael McGarry ha scritto:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for a good general purpose scripting language. What are the
    > differences between Ruby, Python and Perl. Which is better?

    the better is the one that better fits your way of thinking.
    For most of people here it is ruby, but probably for those on c.l.py or
    c.l.pe there is a different answer :)

    tentative answer:
    perl is anarchy
    python owns your thought
    ruby's in beetween

    Given that this is a permathread, please take a look at:
    http://www.ruby-doc.org/RubyEyeForThePythonGuy.html
    for py vs ruby, and for perl vs ruby:
    http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?RubyVsPerl
    for perl vs python I don't know, maybe:
    http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PythonVsPerl

    > What should I use for GUI development (Qt, Tk, or ??)?

    see here:
    http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?ComparingGuiToolkits/TakeTwo

    > Thanks for any advice,

    well, whatever you choice is, good luck :)

    gabriele renzi, Dec 12, 2004
  4. gabriele renzi wrote:
    > Michael McGarry ha scritto:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am looking for a good general purpose scripting language. What are
    >> the differences between Ruby, Python and Perl. Which is better?

    > the better is the one that better fits your way of thinking.
    > For most of people here it is ruby, but probably for those on c.l.py or
    > c.l.pe there is a different answer :)
    >
    > tentative answer:
    > perl is anarchy
    > python owns your thought
    > ruby's in beetween
    >
    > Given that this is a permathread, please take a look at:
    > http://www.ruby-doc.org/RubyEyeForThePythonGuy.html
    > for py vs ruby, and for perl vs ruby:
    > http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?RubyVsPerl
    > for perl vs python I don't know, maybe:
    > http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PythonVsPerl
    >
    >> What should I use for GUI development (Qt, Tk, or ??)?

    > see here:
    > http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?ComparingGuiToolkits/TakeTwo
    >
    >> Thanks for any advice,

    > well, whatever you choice is, good luck :)

    Thank you very much Gabriele for the tips.

    Michael

    Michael McGarry, Dec 12, 2004
  5. Michael McGarry

    David Ross Guest

    Michael McGarry wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for a good general purpose scripting language. What are
    > the differences between Ruby, Python and Perl. Which is better?

    very once and a while someone opens this same thread. Well.. there are
    plenty of differences.

    > What should I use for GUI development (Qt, Tk, or ??)?

    WideStudio. It supports C/C++, Perl, Ruby, and Python. So the APIs are
    the same. No learning 2 million APIs per toolkit.

    http://www.widestudio.org/EE/index.html

    The APIs are the same in every langauge so its easy, unlike most
    bindings for toolkits out there.

    David Ross
    --
    Want to see others who are interested in Ruby?
    See more Info at [ Website: http://www.rubymine.org/?q=IRC ]

    Hazzle free packages for Ruby?
    RPA is available from [ Website: http://www.rubyarchive.org/ ]

    David Ross, Dec 12, 2004
  6. On Dec 12, 2004, at 6:22 PM, David Ross wrote:
    > The APIs are the same in every langauge so its easy, unlike most
    > bindings for toolkits out there.

    same goes for qtruby

    Alex

    Alexander Kellett, Dec 13, 2004
  7. Michael McGarry

    David Ross Guest

    Alexander Kellett wrote:

    > On Dec 12, 2004, at 6:22 PM, David Ross wrote:
    >
    >> The APIs are the same in every langauge so its easy, unlike most
    >> bindings for toolkits out there.

    > same goes for qtruby
    >
    > Alex

    yes, but like you said on irc.

    oh the love of the costly version for windows :)

    David Ross

    David Ross, Dec 13, 2004