Ruby web app confusion

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Tristan Knowles, Jul 21, 2005.

  1. I am confused as to the various web frameworks/mods
    available to run Ruby on a web server. Specifically,
    I have noticed the following:

    eruby
    mod_ruby
    fastcgi
    ROR
    Nitro

    I'm interested in planning some web projects using
    Ruby, but I'm not sure the path to take or how they
    all fit together.

    Currently I'm running Debian sarge with mod_ruby
    installed, using the cgi-bin to run all programs.

    Any insights into the above?

    Thanks.
    Tristan

    =09
    =09
    =09
    ___________________________________________________________=20
    Yahoo! Messenger - NEW crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voic=
    email http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
    Tristan Knowles, Jul 21, 2005

  2. Tristan Knowles

    Jim Freeze Guest

    * Tristan Knowles <> [2005-07-21 21:11:37 +0900]:

    > I am confused as to the various web frameworks/mods
    > available to run Ruby on a web server. Specifically,
    > I have noticed the following:

    Don't forget:

    > eruby
    > mod_ruby
    > fastcgi
    > ROR
    > Nitro

    Wee
    Iowa
    Seaside

    --
    Jim Freeze
    Jim Freeze, Jul 21, 2005

  3. Tristan Knowles

    Kirk Haines Guest

    On Thursday 21 July 2005 6:11 am, Tristan Knowles wrote:
    > I am confused as to the various web frameworks/mods
    > available to run Ruby on a web server. Specifically,
    > I have noticed the following:
    >
    > eruby

    A templating system. Allows one to embed ruby into HTML.

    > mod_ruby

    Works with Apache to have a Ruby interpreter running inside Apache so that one
    can use Ruby code on requests.

    > fastcgi

    Protocol to allow applications to run persistently, with the request data
    transfered via socket of some flavor from the web server to the persistent
    process, handled, then a response transfered back.

    > ROR

    A web application framework. Uses an MVC architecture. Aims to make things
    simple via a convention over flexibility design perspective. Heavily
    advocated for by many, and is the current "it" thing with Ruby.

    > Nitro

    Another MVC framework, also pretty heavily advocated by some. Doesn't look
    much like RoR, but is quite capable and is heavily used by a number of
    people, as well.

    Jim Freeze, in another email, also mentions:

    Seaside

    This is a Smalltalk framework. Borges is a ruby implementaiton of a version
    of Seaside.

    Wee

    A framework that now has components with are interoperable with Nitro. It is
    inspired in part by Seaside, but is a fresh creation. Neat ideas in it.

    IOWA

    This is the one that I use, personally. It runs, now, over 50 production
    sites/apps and has for well over 3 years, now. It's development has been
    driven by my production needs, largely. Development lagged over the last 1/2
    year because life sucked, but things have kicked back in, and lots of new
    stuff is in the pipe to go along with a ton of new commercial applications,
    much of it for a Fortune 500 company! IOWA is also MVC. I have a small
    community of active users.

    > I'm interested in planning some web projects using
    > Ruby, but I'm not sure the path to take or how they
    > all fit together.

    A lot of people are going to say, "RoR! Best thing since slice bread. Use
    IT!" And that may be true for you, or it may not be. Explain what your web
    projects are, take the input from everyone, then look around and start asking
    questions. RoR or Nitro or IOWA might be a perfect fit for you and what you
    need. Or maybe it makes more sense for you to use Amrita2 or XTemplate to
    whip something up, or kwartz (another templating system with some neat
    ideas).

    > Currently I'm running Debian sarge with mod_ruby
    > installed, using the cgi-bin to run all programs.

    Oh, lots. :)

    Kirk Haines
    Kirk Haines, Jul 21, 2005
  4. >> Nitro
    > Another MVC framework, also pretty heavily advocated by some.
    > Doesn't look much like RoR, but is quite capable and is heavily
    > used by a number of people, as well.

    one small correction: even though Nitro offers (and promotes) excellent
    support for the MVC pattern it does not force you to use MVC. So, for
    example, you could write a small web site, in the same way you would do
    it with PHP (if you wanted to). Nitro always gives choice to the
    developer.

    regards,
    George

    --