Ruby Weekly News 26th February - 4th March 2007

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Tim Sutherland, Mar 6, 2007.

  1. Links are at http://www.rubyweeklynews.org/20070304.html.

    Ruby Weekly News 26th February - 4th March 2007
    with contributions from Robert Postill.

    Articles and Announcements
    ==========================

    * CVS services will be permanently unavailable

    Shugo Maeda announced that the Ruby interpreter's CVS repositories
    will be no longer be available. "The source code repositry has been
    moved to SVN."

    This is unrelated to rubyforge CVS services.

    * Ruby-doc.org search for your browser toolbar

    James Britt recently added a new search feature to ruby-doc.org, and
    it soon became even better:

    > Greg [Whiteley] took this a step further and created a browser
    > search toolbar auto-discovery file. Users of Firefox 2 and IE7 (and
    > possibly others) who visit the site should now see the search
    > toolbar icon (usually in the upper right of the browser) become
    > highlighted. Clicking the icon will then give you the option of
    > adding the ruby-doc.org search to your search toolbar.

    * Erlang book is in beta...
    ---------------------------

    "We were lucky to get Joe Armstrong, one of the inventors of Erlang,
    to write our latest beta book, Programming Erlang", wrote Dave Thomas.

    > Erlang is [a programming language] designed from the ground up to
    > help programmers create highly concurrently (read thousands or
    > processes), highly reliable (read 99.99999% uptime) applications.
    > It's a real world language-it is used to write telephone switches,
    > banking applications, trading systems...you name it.

    There were many excited responses, and also questions about the
    possibility of books on other interesting programming languages. Dave
    said he'd love to publish books on IO, Haskell, OCaml, etc.

    "It's a question of finding the right author."

    * rb-appscript developments (Ruby-AppleScript)

    Has noted that "a great introduction to rb-appscript at O'Reilly's
    MacDevCenter" was just written by the author of "AppleScript: The
    Definitive Guide", Matt Neuburg.

    In a related thread, Laurent Sansonetti announced RubyOSA 0.3.0.

    "RubyOSA is a bridge that connects Ruby to the Apple Event Manager
    infrastructure. In big words, it allows you to do in Ruby what you
    could do in AppleScript."

    Among other new features, it is now possible to script remote
    machines.

    User Group News
    ===============

    * Munich.rb meets on Thursday 15th March

    The Munich.rb group are meeting on Thursday 15th March. Urban Hafner
    will be wearing his Munich.rb T-Shirt, "but I guess a group like that
    will likely stand out anyway ;)".

    * Swiss Ruby User Group Meeting on 1.3.2007

    The SwissRUB met on March 1st, in Zürich.

    * South East Michigan Ruby Brigade Meeting

    The South East Michigan Ruby Brigade had a meeting on March 5th, with
    free pizza, soft drinks, books, and friendly people, announced Patrick
    Hurley.

    Threads
    =======

    Making Ruby faster with Judy
    ----------------------------

    Tomasz Wegrzanowski improved the performance of the Ruby interpreter by
    using the Judy sparse-array library to replace some of Ruby's internal
    hash tables.

    These tables are used for example to do method lookups. Performance
    increased by about 5%, and memory usage dropped by 4%.

    Mauricio Fernandez said he'd done a similar thing back in 2002. The
    biggest problem was that Judy is under the LGPL, which has more
    restrictions than Ruby's license.

    win32::changenotify and multiple events
    ---------------------------------------

    Martin DeMello asked how to get win32::changenotify to capture multiple
    events when e.g. "mkdir -p a/b/c" is executed.

    There were not yet any replies.

    is there something method in ruby like python's reduce()

    Huang Huangliang wanted to know if Ruby has a standard method that's
    similar to Python's "reduce", i.e. to turn an array of values into a
    single value, by repeatedly applying a function (block) of two arguments.

    This is sometimes called "accumulate", "fold" or "inject" in different
    programming languages.

    Bira said, yes, it's Enumerable#inject in Ruby, and gave several good
    examples of its use, with the simplest being

    # Sum some numbers
    (5..10).inject {|sum, n| sum + n } #=> 45

    The name "inject" came to Ruby via the Smalltalk programming language.
    (Your editor finds it easier to think "accumulate" whenever he sees
    "inject". Your mileage may vary.)

    Ruby and COM
    ------------

    "Does anyone know of a stable Ruby-COM bridge which will let one do things
    like importing DLLs, querying for interfaces and calling their methods?"
    queried 11×22.

    Robert Klemme linked to a page of Ruby win32 libraries, and Patrick Hurley
    suggested using the standard Ruby libraries Win32OLE (for calling COM
    interfaces) and DL (for calling functions in a DLL directly).

    New Releases
    ============

    Holy Telephony Batman! It's Batphone 0.1.0

    Hans Fugal: "Does the world need yet another Ruby Asterisk Gateway
    Interface library? Does the world need a guy who dresses up like a bat?"

    This one was written to be easy to learn and use.

    Ruby In Steel Personal Edition v 1.0
    ------------------------------------

    Huw Collingbourne announced that Ruby in Steel has got to version one. It
    is "a Ruby editing and debugging environment for Microsoft's Visual Studio
    2005".

    sapnwrfc next Generation RFC Connector for SAP NetWeaver

    Piers Harding announced the first "next generation" Ruby RFC connector for
    SAP NetWeaver.

    "SAP have undertaken a redevelopment of the RFC connection libraries, and
    as a result the new Ruby Connector is now unicode enabled, and can handle
    complex parameter types."

    Other releases
    --------------

    See the rubyforge news page for more release announcements.

    --
    I hope you enjoyed this edition of the Ruby Weekly News.
    Visit http://www.rubyweeklynews.org/newsletters/contribute/next
    Tim Sutherland, Mar 6, 2007

  2. On 3/6/07, Tim Sutherland <> wrote:

    > Ruby Weekly News 26th February - 4th March 2007
    > with contributions from Robert Postill.

    Yay! Let me be the first to say that it's great to see this again.

    Thanks to anyone involved for the time/effort.

    -Harold
    Harold Hausman, Mar 6, 2007

  3. Tim Sutherland

    Urban Hafner Guest

    Urban Hafner, Mar 7, 2007
  4. Tim Sutherland

    Chad Perrin Guest

    On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 04:56:11PM +0900, Urban Hafner wrote:

    > On Mar 6, 2007, at 10:35 , Harold Hausman wrote:
    >
    > >Yay! Let me be the first to say that it's great to see this again.
    > >
    > >Thanks to anyone involved for the time/effort.

    > +1

    += 1

    Chad Perrin, Mar 7, 2007
  5. Tim Sutherland

    Peter Szinek Guest

    Chad Perrin wrote:
    > On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 04:56:11PM +0900, Urban Hafner wrote:
    >>

    >> On Mar 6, 2007, at 10:35 , Harold Hausman wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yay! Let me be the first to say that it's great to see this again.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks to anyone involved for the time/effort.

    >> +1

    > += 1

    +5

    Peter
    __
    http://www.rubyrailways.com :: Ruby and Web2.0 blog
    http://scrubyt.org :: Ruby web scraping framework
    http://rubykitchensink.ca/ :: The indexed archive of all things Ruby
    Peter Szinek, Mar 7, 2007
  6. Tim Sutherland

    Robert Dober Guest

    On 3/6/07, Harold Hausman <> wrote:
    > On 3/6/07, Tim Sutherland <> wrote:
    > >
    > > Ruby Weekly News 26th February - 4th March 2007
    > > with contributions from Robert Postill.

    I wanted to say that before, so I did ;)

    > Yay! Let me be the first to say that it's great to see this again.
    >
    > Thanks to anyone involved for the time/effort.
    >
    > -Harold

    -Anonymous
    Robert Dober, Mar 7, 2007
  7. On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 06:35:20PM +0900, Harold Hausman wrote:
    > On 3/6/07, Tim Sutherland <> wrote:
    > >
    > >Ruby Weekly News 26th February - 4th March 2007
    > > with contributions from Robert Postill.

    Thanks everyone for the feedback. It really helps with the motivation.
    And remember, anyone can contribute items at
    http://www.rubyweeklynews.org/newsletters/contribute/next

    That helps too :)

    Cheers,
    Tim.