Ruby Weekly News 5th - 11th December 2005

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Tim Sutherland, Dec 13, 2005.

  1. http://www.rubyweeklynews.org/20051211.html

    Ruby Weekly News 5th - 11th December 2005
    Tim Sutherland.

    [Contribute to the next newsletter.]

    Articles and Announcements
    ==========================

    * Houston ruby and / or rails user group?

    Keith Lancaster has left his job to launch a startup, with Rails as
    the primary technology, and is "looking for like-minded folks in
    Houston, Texas. Does anyone know if there is a user group (ruby and/or
    rails) in Houston? If there is not, would anyone be interested in
    participating in one?"

    * RWB: call for feedback|developers
    -----------------------------------

    Pat Eyler issued a call for feedback and developers for the Ruby Work
    Bench (RWB) project, which provides performance and load tests for
    websites.

    He doesn't have enough time to add all the features he wants, and also
    needs feedback from people for even more ideas.

    * XML Transformations using REXML
    ---------------------------------

    James Britt: "Toot toot! That's the sound of my own horn."

    The 30th Anniversary edition of Dr. Dobb's Journal - January 2006 -
    includes an article [Transforming XML & the REXML Pull Parser]
    by (guess who) James Britt.

    * interesting book sales news
    -----------------------------

    Pay Eyler linked to an article on the O'Reilly Radar entitled
    [Ruby Book Sales Surpass Python].

    DHH posted his take on it, noting that at the moment there is only one
    published book on Rails, and one recent Ruby book.

    "Compare that to the wealth of titles available for Python, Perl, and
    Java. Now imagine what those numbers will look like when the market
    is flooded with new titles in the beginning of the new year."

    * Phoenix.rb : Phoenix Ruby Users Group
    ---------------------------------------

    James Britt, the refresher of the Phoenix.rb Users' Group, is
    proposing a meeting for the 19th of December. Contact him if you're
    interested.

    * CLOSING SHOP! XML:Tools, bindings for libxml and libxslt

    Trans announced that he would no longer be hosting the libxml and
    libxslt bindings, and requested that a new maintainer step forward.
    Ross Bamford said he'd give it a go.

    * Subversion support on RubyForge
    ---------------------------------

    Tom Copeland: "RubyForge now supports Subversion! Yup, at long last,
    we've got all the pieces in place so that you can use either CVS or
    Subversion for your version control."

    And yes, existing projects using CVS can be converted over.

    Replies included !, !! and even in one case !!! exclamation marks. I
    think that means people are happy.

    * Ruby Code & Style is looking for articles.

    James Britt said that the online journal Ruby Code & Style is looking
    for articles for its second edition.

    | We focus on bringing high-quality articles, written by Rubyists all
    | over the world, showcasing the strengths of Ruby and the ingenuity
    | of its users in solving real-life, non-trivial problems.
    |
    | We're looking for technical Ruby articles primarily geared toward
    | experienced Ruby developers. Submissions are peer reviewed by our
    | remarkable advisory board, which includes eminent members of the
    | Ruby community [he's not kidding - Ed].

    * Ruby: A New Danger
    --------------------

    Hampton posted a 200MB video he created showing that Ruby is dangerous
    (for Fortran programmers). Recommended, oh yeah.

    Don't let Lispers or Smalltalkers watch it though.

    Threads
    =======

    One-Click Ruby Installer
    ------------------------

    The one in which Curt Hibbs says the One-Click Ruby Installer won't be
    updated to Ruby 1.8.3, but will sync with 1.8.4 when it is released at the
    end of December.

    Kalah (#58)
    -----------

    Mark Van Holstyn created this week's Ruby Quiz - to create a player for
    the board-game "Kalah".

    :) Sharing a Shower Moment :)
    -------------------------------

    Surprisingly, not spam. Duck wisdom, the best of which was Ezra
    Zygmuntowicz's "If a duck quacks in the woods... Does anyone.respond_to?
    his calls?"

    IL Generator syntax proposal
    ----------------------------

    John Lam is rewriting his Ruby <=> CLR (.NET) bridge, with the plan to
    write as much of the code as possible in Ruby, rather than in Managed C++.
    To this end, he had prototyped some syntax for an IL (Intermediate
    Language) generation library.

    He went on to implement the proposal, see [RbDynamicMethod first drop].

    An example for converting CLR exceptions into Ruby ones:

    create_ruby_method('convert_clr_exception') do
    try
    ldstr 'error'
    newobj 'Exception.ctor(String)'
    throw_ex
    catch_ex 'Exception'
    call 'static ExceptionHelper.RaiseRubyException(Exception)'
    end_try
    ldc_i4_4
    ret
    end

    Detecting control-c?
    --------------------

    William E. Rubin asked how to detect when a user presses ctrl-c (i.e.
    sends the INTerrupt signal), and Joe Van Dyk said that this will do it:

    trap("INT") do
    puts "got signal INT"
    end

    Equation graphing software?
    ---------------------------

    Steve Litt pondered creating graphs of equations like y=x**2+5 from Ruby.

    Eric Lavigne suggested gnuplot, by having Ruby output gnuplot commands,
    and G.Durga Prasad noted the rgplot Ruby library for tighter integration.

    For non-Ruby solutions, Dan Diebolt pointed out GNU Octave (a free
    software clone of Matlab), which uses GNU Graph for graphics. You can also
    use Graph separately. (Kevin Brown is currently writing a Ruby binding for
    it.)

    rflickr
    -------

    Nate Agrin asked if anyone else was using the "rflickr" library to access
    the Flickr API, as he was having some problems with flickr.auth.getToken.

    "it would also be nice to get anyone who is working on rflickr to form
    some sort of breakout group, so we could pass information around a bit
    faster."

    There were no replies after 6 days.

    Oniguruma -- when?
    ------------------

    Hal Fulton enquired as to when the new regular expression engine Oniguruma
    would be merged into Ruby. It provides features beyond the current engine,
    such as look-behind, named and non-captured groups and support for many
    character encodings.

    Phil Tomson said you can configure Ruby 1.8.3 at compile time to use it,
    while James Edward Gray II said that the word was that it wouldn't be
    default until Ruby 2.0, for fear of breaking compatibility.

    Calling ASP C# web service from Ruby?

    mmm was getting encoding errors when trying to call a SOAP web service
    running under ASP.NET, from Ruby.

    Tsume said that

    soap_client.default_encodingstyle =
    SOAP::EncodingStyle::ASPDotNetHandler::Namespace

    would fix the issue, caused by non-standardness in Microsoft's SOAP
    implementation.

    The problem was also behind the thread Ruby SOAP client communication with
    Microsoft .NET webservice.

    Semi-OT: Red Crystal - Ruby is taking off everywhere

    Patrick Hurley remarked that the International Red Cross and Red Crescent
    Movement have adopted the "Red Crystal" as a new emblem. Ruby really is
    everywhere now!

    New Releases
    ============

    lazy.rb 0.2
    -----------

    MenTaLguY released a new version of his lazy evaluation library lazy.rb.

    Object#inspect no longer forces the evaluation of a promise, Kernel#force
    was renamed Kernel#demand, and a new API for lazy streams was added.

    FireRuby 0.4.1
    --------------

    Fixes to FireRuby to support 64-bit platforms were added by Peter Wood,
    with help from David Walthour.

    FireRuby is a library for accessing the Firebird open-source relational
    database system.

    Rails RC5 (0.14.4): Next stop one-oh (really, this time!)

    David Heinemeier Hansson said that Rails RC 5 is out, and this one really
    is the last before the 1.0 release.

    "We've fixed a ton of major, minor, and aesthetic issues and now have a
    package that we would be very proud to call 1.0."

    --
    A kiss is not a contract.
    It's an invitation to treat.

    Tim Sutherland, Dec 13, 2005

  2. Tim Sutherland

    Trans Guest

    > CLOSING SHOP! XML:Tools, bindings for libxml and libxslt
    > Ross Bamford said he'd give it a go.

    UPDATE. Sean Crittenden, the original author of the bindings,
    appearently frequents these parts quietly. He's come back out and will
    remain project head of the libxml/libxsl projects on Rubyforge, but Bob
    Showalter will take on active management and Ross Bamford will be
    active senior developer. Also, the license looks like it will change to
    MIT too (yeah!)

    So after long last, Ruby will finally have fresh and well maintained
    binding to libxml2!!!

    T.

    Trans, Dec 13, 2005

  3. Tim Sutherland

    James Britt Guest

    Trans wrote:
    >>CLOSING SHOP! XML:Tools, bindings for libxml and libxslt
    >>Ross Bamford said he'd give it a go.

    > UPDATE. Sean Crittenden, the original author of the bindings,
    > appearently frequents these parts quietly. He's come back out and will
    > remain project head of the libxml/libxsl projects on Rubyforge, but Bob
    > Showalter will take on active management and Ross Bamford will be
    > active senior developer. Also, the license looks like it will change to
    > MIT too (yeah!)

    Minor correction: Sean's last name is Chittenden

    http://sean.chittenden.org/

    James

    http://www.30secondrule.com - Building Better Tools

    James Britt, Dec 13, 2005
  4. Tim Sutherland

    Trans Guest

    > Minor correction: Sean's last name is Chittenden

    Ah, that would be a typo. Thanks for correcting James.

    T.

    Trans, Dec 13, 2005