Ruby Weekly News 9th - 15th January 2006

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Tim Sutherland, Jan 18, 2006.

  1. http://www.rubyweeklynews.org/20060115.html

    Ruby Weekly News 9th - 15th January 2006
    by Tim Sutherland and Jonathon Mah.

    It's a shortie newsletter this week. (Paradoxically, the more threads on the
    list, the shorter the newsletter.)

    [ Contribute to the next newsletter ]

    User Group News
    ===============

    * St. Louis Ruby Users Group -- Jan. 24th

    Curt Hibbs announced that the St. Louis Ruby Users Group (in Missouri,
    U.S.) have a meeting on the fourth Thursday of every month.

    * Southern Maine Ruby Group...
    ------------------------------

    Pat Eyler forwarded an email announcing a new Ruby Brigade in Southern
    Maine, U.S. (Portland).

    * Boulder-Denver Ruby Group - January Meeting

    Another first RUG meeting coming up: Boulder-Denver Ruby Group in
    Colorado have their first meeting on January 25.

    * Stockholm/Sweden User Group meeting
    -------------------------------------

    The first Stockholm Ruby User Group meeting is on the 19th of January.

    * RUGS
    ------

    Richard Kilmer noted that NovaRUG (Northern Virginia Ruby Users Group)
    are to have their first meeting on January 26.

    Quote of the Week
    =================

    * rue teaches piglet about symbols on #ruby-lang

    James Britt:

    | "When I use a symbol," Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful
    | tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor
    | less."
    | "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make symbols mean so
    | many different things."
    | "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -
    | that's all."
    |
    | -- With apologies to Lewis Carroll (1832-1898) Through The Looking
    | Glass 1871

    Threads
    =======

    Packing (#62)
    -------------

    Ruby Quiz this week comes from Ilmari Heikkinen: write a program to pack
    boxes of different dimensions as tightly as you can.

    Regexps: Perl vs. Ruby
    ----------------------

    Sam Dela Cruz inquired why the regular expression /^[\d\.]+$/ matched
    differently in Perl and Ruby. David A Black responded, "^ and $ match
    start and end of line, not string. For start and end of string, you want
    \A and \z (or \Z to ignore final newline)."

    String#split, respecting quotes?
    --------------------------------

    Richard Livsey asked how to split a string %Q{some words "some quoted
    text" some more words} into an array ["some", "words", "some quoted text",
    "some", "more", "words"]. Solutions using regexps flew in. Tim Hearney
    noted that the CSV module can do just that:

    require 'csv'
    CSV::parse_line('some words "some quoted text" some more words', ' ')

    Florian GroƟ pointed out the Shellwords module. Both have their
    advantages.

    Postgres-ing? Too many choices!
    -------------------------------

    Dave Howell found three different gems for talking to PostgreSQL
    databases: postgres, postgres-pr and ruby-postgres.

    What's the difference between them?

    Dave Lee said that postgres and ruby-postgres are in fact the same project
    - the latter is the newer name of it.

    postgres-pr is a "pure Ruby" library that doesn't need PostgreSQL's libpq
    native library (but has fewer functions than ruby-postgres, which wraps
    the native library).

    --
    Q: What is normed, complete, and yellow?
    A: A Bananach space...
    Tim Sutherland, Jan 18, 2006