Ruby Windows user information and Active Directory querying

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by fu, Jul 10, 2007.

  1. fu

    fu Guest

    Hi,

    Does someone have a few guidelines for the following:
    - Get the information about the user currently logged in (at least
    username would be good),
    - Use the above information to query the Active Directory (can net/
    ldap or ruby/ldap be used for this successfully?) for other info,
    specifically group membership?

    I am on WinXP, but any guidelines might help (e.g. getting username on
    *nix or querying LDAP on Mac). An important thing is that, from the
    examples I have seen (e.g. a good one with Rails on top -
    http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/HowtoAuthenticateViaLdap), you
    need a few things to query AD - the login name, the password (a no-no
    for storing within the script), base dn and other stuff.

    All of these can change if you change the access place, so a good way
    would be to fetch everything at runtime. I know that all of these can
    be found in the information Windows can provide for the current user,
    because various vbs scripts can do this (e.g.
    http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/ezine/ezine138.htm). Can
    something similar be done in Ruby easily (as tons of other stuff can)?

    fu, Jul 10, 2007

  2. fu

    Guest

    On 10 jul, 16:45, fu <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does someone have a few guidelines for the following:
    > - Get the information about the user currently logged in (at least
    > username would be good),
    > - Use the above information to query the Active Directory (can net/
    > ldap or ruby/ldap be used for this successfully?) for other info,
    > specifically group membership?
    >
    > I am on WinXP, but any guidelines might help (e.g. getting username on
    > *nix or querying LDAP on Mac). An important thing is that, from the
    > examples I have seen (e.g. a good one with Rails on top -http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/HowtoAuthenticateViaLdap), you
    > need a few things to query AD - the login name, the password (a no-no
    > for storing within the script), base dn and other stuff.
    >
    > All of these can change if you change the access place, so a good way
    > would be to fetch everything at runtime. I know that all of these can
    > be found in the information Windows can provide for the current user,
    > because various vbs scripts can do this (e.g.http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/ezine/ezine138.htm). Can
    > something similar be done in Ruby easily (as tons of other stuff can)?

    Hi,

    With Apache(and a proxy directive) you will be able to retrieve the
    remote user from the client.
    (normally the format is like this DOMAIN/USERNAME).

    The following section

    'Reading REMOTE_USER from mongrel through proxy' on
    http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/docs/apache.html explains this.

    Regards,
    Stijn Van Vreckem

    , Jul 10, 2007

  3. fu

    fu Guest

    Stijn, thanks for the info. However, I am not talking about Web
    applications here (although I am not excluding them also - if there is
    a solution in a Web-application-form which solves what I need, I'd be
    glad to look at it). The thing I need is a console-like application
    that queries AD and gets the groups for the current user. The
    problems: how to get the current user (i.e. not having the user to
    type his username), how to authenticate to AD (i.e. without the user
    needing to enter his password) and how to access the info from AD.
    It's not the login (authentication) that I need, just a query.
    Basically, a Ruby version of *nix 'groups' program, just for Windows.

    fu, Jul 11, 2007
  4. fu

    David Mullet Guest

    David Mullet, Jul 11, 2007