Ruby without commandline?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Peter Parker, Nov 19, 2010.

  1. Peter Parker

    Peter Parker Guest

    Hello

    First of all I am sorry if I am posting this in the wrong sections, mods
    may move this to the correct one.

    I come from a PHP background. I have been using frameworks )(Zend,
    cakephp) since years.

    I am planning to learn Ruby. I want to make a small project in it but
    was wondering if its possible to make the project without using a
    command line. Every tutorial I read on the internet explains how to run
    your ruby code using command line. In Zend or cakephp, we have the
    option to either use the command line or download the framework library
    from their respective website and start using your favourite IDE and
    start coding.

    1) Is this also possible in Ruby?

    2) Can I download the framework library and start coding using Netbeans
    etc?

    3) Is there any (step-by-step) tutorial available for the same?

    Any help will be highly appreciated.

    Many thanks

    PS: FYI - I use Ubuntu 9.04 with apache 2.2

    Peter Parker, Nov 19, 2010

  2. On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Peter Parker <> wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > First of all I am sorry if I am posting this in the wrong sections, mods
    > may move this to the correct one.
    >
    > I come from a PHP background. I have been using frameworks )(Zend,
    > cakephp) since years.
    >
    > I am planning to learn Ruby. I want to make a small project in it but
    > was wondering if its possible to make the project without using a
    > command line. Every tutorial I read on the internet explains how to run
    > your ruby code using command line. In Zend or cakephp, we have the
    > option to either use the command line or download the framework library
    > from their respective website and start using your favourite IDE and
    > start coding.

    Ruby is more than a language for the web. If all you want to do are
    websites, then looking at mod_passenger for Ruby on Rails is your best
    bet.

    > 1) Is this also possible in Ruby?

    See above.

    > 2) Can I download the framework library and start coding using Netbeans
    > etc?

    There is no "the framework library" in the stricter sense. Unlike PHP,
    Ruby is a scripting language that is useful for lots of things, from
    CLI scripts, to the web, to desktop applications. Pretty much every
    language uses some level of command line interaction, if only to
    generate the project skeleton.

    However, you *can* use Netbeans (or Eclipse, or a couple of other IDEs
    / editors) to create a new project (NetBeans has a Rails plugin, and
    ships with an inbuilt JRuby and Rails, but both are likely to be out
    of date out of the box).

    > 3) Is there any (step-by-step) tutorial available for the same?

    If you use your favorite IDE, it'll work just like any other project
    type support by said IDE.

    --
    Phillip Gawlowski

    Though the folk I have met,
    (Ah, how soon!) they forget
    When I've moved on to some other place,
    There may be one or two,
    When I've played and passed through,
    Who'll remember my song or my face.
    Phillip Gawlowski, Nov 19, 2010

  3. On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 5:11 AM, Peter Parker <> wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > First of all I am sorry if I am posting this in the wrong sections, mods
    > may move this to the correct one.
    >
    > I come from a PHP background. I have been using frameworks )(Zend,
    > cakephp) since years.
    >
    > I am planning to learn Ruby. I want to make a small project in it but
    > was wondering if its possible to make the project without using a
    > command line. Every tutorial I read on the internet explains how to run
    > your ruby code using command line. In Zend or cakephp, we have the
    > option to either use the command line or download the framework library
    > from their respective website and start using your favourite IDE and
    > start coding.
    >
    > 1) Is this also possible in Ruby?

    Yeah.

    > 2) Can I download the framework library and start coding using Netbeans
    > etc?

    Not sure which "framework library" you mean, but you almost certainly can.

    > 3) Is there any (step-by-step) tutorial available for the same?

    Here's a tutorial for Ruby with Netbeans:
    http://netbeans.org/kb/docs/ruby/quickstart.html

    There's also a link at the end to a Ruby on Rails with Netbeans tutorial.
    Christopher Dicely, Nov 20, 2010