Ruby/X11

Malte Milatz

Hi folks,

my question about Ruby/X11 (the pure-Ruby implementation of writing X11
applications):

Is it possible to play around with it a bit (that, and nothing more, is
what I'd like to do) without being an X11 guru? Any documentation, any
tutorials for other languages that can be applied do Ruby/X11, too?

Thanks in advance

Malte

vruz

Is it possible to play around with it a bit (that, and nothing more, is
what I'd like to do) without being an X11 guru? Any documentation, any
tutorials for other languages that can be applied do Ruby/X11, too?

Very readable, clean code, still, you should know at least the basics
of X11 for it to be useful to you.

Keep in mind it was written originally for an older Ruby version
(1.6.4 if I remember well, please correct me Mathieu if I'm wrong)

Still, I don't understand what you mean by "tutorials for other
languages that can be applied"

Ruby/X11 is entirely written in Ruby, to be used from within Ruby
programs, but of course there's plenty of other things that can be
done on top of it, imagination is the limit.

cheers,
vruz

Malte Milatz

Thanks for your answer. When you wrote "the basics of X11", did you mean I
should know the overall structure of the X11 protocol? That's going to be
a lot of stuff to read...

However, it seems that I would have to look at the code of Ruby/X11 and
guess and try out how it does what. That's actually what I wanted to
avoid, because I usually struggle enough with my own code, and don't like
time-consuming exercises like that.

Malte

Eric Hodel

--Apple-Mail-38-305787423

Hi folks,

my question about Ruby/X11 (the pure-Ruby implementation of writing X11
applications):

Is it possible to play around with it a bit (that, and nothing more, is
what I'd like to do) without being an X11 guru? Any documentation, any
tutorials for other languages that can be applied do Ruby/X11, too?

Ruby/X11 is an X protocol implementation. It lacks many of the helpful
methods of Xlib, so if you'll need to write out similar helpful wrapper
methods yourself.

--
Eric Hodel - (e-mail address removed) - http://segment7.net
FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E 7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

--Apple-Mail-38-305787423
name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-38-305787423--