[ruby2] will $ for global disapears in ruby2?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Lionel Thiry, Apr 11, 2005.

  1. Lionel Thiry

    Lionel Thiry Guest

    Hello!

    I remember some posts saying that $ for globals will disapear from ruby2. Is it
    still the case?

    If I correctly remember arguments for that disapearance are:

    1) short globals $', $:, etc, are too cryptic (and perlist)
    2) globals are not good/true OO
    3) globals may instead be managed through some module or class

    module Globals
    @my_global = "default value"
    class <<self
    attr_accessor :my_global
    end
    end

    puts Globals::my_global # => default value

    --
    Lionel Thiry

    Lionel Thiry, Apr 11, 2005

  2. Hi,

    In message "Re: [ruby2] will $ for global disapears in ruby2?"
    on Tue, 12 Apr 2005 01:54:38 +0900, Lionel Thiry <> writes:

    |I remember some posts saying that $ for globals will disapear from ruby2. Is it
    |still the case?

    $-variables will not disappear. Some of perlistic $<figure> variables
    might.

    matz.

    Yukihiro Matsumoto, Apr 11, 2005

  3. Lionel Thiry

    Jeffrey Moss Guest

    What about optional strong typing and multimethods in ruby2? I saw a lot of
    people wanted that with that thread a while back "What would you most like
    to see in the next ruby", is that ever going to happen?

    Is there a ruby2 white paper or something?

    -Jeff

    Jeffrey Moss, Apr 11, 2005
  4. Lionel Thiry

    Lionel Thiry Guest

    Yukihiro Matsumoto a écrit :
    > Hi,
    >
    > In message "Re: [ruby2] will $ for global disapears in ruby2?"
    > on Tue, 12 Apr 2005 01:54:38 +0900, Lionel Thiry <> writes:
    >
    > |I remember some posts saying that $ for globals will disapear from ruby2. Is it
    > |still the case?
    >
    > $-variables will not disappear. Some of perlistic $<figure> variables
    > might.
    >
    > matz.

    Too bad for me, I was thinking about writing an RCR that would reuse the $ sigil.

    --
    Lionel Thiry

    Lionel Thiry, Apr 11, 2005