RubyCocoa 0.4.1: problem with stringValue (NSCharacterConversionException)

Andreas Schwarz

Hi,

I'm trying the itunes_albums.rb example, but stringValue fails for an
album name that contains cyrillic characters:
2005-03-26 13:15:26.564 ruby[3995] *** Uncaught exception:
<NSCharacterConversionException> Conversion to encoding 30 failed for
string "ФабÑика звезд 4"

Is it possible to get the unconverted unicode string?

Andreas

kimura wataru

Thanks for your reporting.

That's a bug of RubyCocoa, maybe.
RubyCocoa calls method -[NSString cString] in some procedure. In this
method, an exception occurs when system cannot convert encoding of the
receiver string to "default encoding", not Unicode, without loss.
The default encoding is determined from your language setting on System
Preferences > International.

kimura wataru

Hi,

I'm working for converting string with $KCODE. RubyCocoa will treat
string as UTF8 when $KCODE is "NONE".

$KCODE NSStringEncoding
---------------------------
NONE UTF8
UTF8 UTF8
EUC EUC
SJIS SJIS(MacJapanese)

Thanks for your reporting.

That's a bug of RubyCocoa, maybe.
RubyCocoa calls method -[NSString cString] in some procedure. In this
method, an exception occurs when system cannot convert encoding of the
receiver string to "default encoding", not Unicode, without loss. The
default encoding is determined from your language setting on System
Preferences > International.

Would it be appropriate to replace all calls to [NSString cString] with
[NSString UTF8String]? (and set $KCODE='u' in Ruby)