    The Ruby training with Black/Brown/McAnally
    Compleat Philadelphia, PA, October 1-2, 2010
    Rubyist http://www.compleatrubyist.com

    David A. Black, Sep 15, 2010

  2. David A. Black

    Ryan Davis Guest

    On Sep 15, 2010, at 05:27 , David A. Black wrote:

    > Hi all --
    >=20
    > More tickets for RubyConf will be going on sale today (thanks to some
    > space-juggling). We're going to sell them for one week or until we run
    > out of room, whichever comes first.
    >=20
    > Keep an eye on: http://www.rubyconf.org

    I've got to ask... why are tickets on sale before speakers and schedule =
    are announced? That just seems really backwards to me.

    Ryan Davis, Sep 17, 2010

  3. On Sep 17, 2010, at 12:27 AM, Ryan Davis wrote:

    > On Sep 15, 2010, at 05:27 , David A. Black wrote:
    >=20
    >> Hi all --
    >>=20
    >> More tickets for RubyConf will be going on sale today (thanks to some
    >> space-juggling). We're going to sell them for one week or until we =

    run
    >> out of room, whichever comes first.
    >>=20
    >> Keep an eye on: http://www.rubyconf.org

    >=20
    > I've got to ask... why are tickets on sale before speakers and =

    schedule are announced? That just seems really backwards to me.

    I seems very strange to me too.

    James Edward Gray II=

    James Edward Gray II, Sep 17, 2010
  4. On Sep 17, 2010, at 11:39 AM, James Edward Gray II wrote:
    > On Sep 17, 2010, at 12:27 AM, Ryan Davis wrote:
    > On Sep 15, 2010, at 05:27 , David A. Black wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all --
    >>>
    >>> More tickets for RubyConf will be going on sale today (thanks to
    >>> some
    >>> space-juggling). We're going to sell them for one week or until we
    >>> run
    >>> out of room, whichever comes first.
    >>>
    >>> Keep an eye on: http://www.rubyconf.org

    >> I've got to ask... why are tickets on sale before speakers and
    >> schedule are announced? That just seems really backwards to me.

    > I seems very strange to me too.
    >
    > James Edward Gray II

    Particularly the second round. I could understand if it were more like:

    * limited seats are opened and call for talks is still open
    * proposals closed
    * speakers and schedule announced
    * all remaining seats are opened for registration

    but I'm with Ryan and James (and *many* others) who don't understand
    the current situation.

    -Rob

    Rob Biedenharn
    http://AgileConsultingLLC.com/
    http://GaslightSoftware.com/

    Rob Biedenharn, Sep 17, 2010
  5. On Fri, 17 Sep 2010, Ryan Davis wrote:

    > On Sep 15, 2010, at 05:27 , David A. Black wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all --
    >>
    >> More tickets for RubyConf will be going on sale today (thanks to some
    >> space-juggling). We're going to sell them for one week or until we run
    >> out of room, whichever comes first.
    >>
    >> Keep an eye on: http://www.rubyconf.org

    > I've got to ask... why are tickets on sale before speakers and schedule are announced? That just seems really backwards to me.

    I'm ok with it, I trust them to put together a good lineup.

    The problem I'm having is that the hotel doesn't have rooms available at
    the conference rate. Does anyone know of nearby hotels that are cheaper?
    I'm planning on driving, so even a few miles away would work.

    -- Matt
    It's not what I know that counts.

    Matt Lawrence, Sep 17, 2010
  6. Re: More seats on sale today

    On Sep 17, 12:27=A0am, Ryan Davis <> wrote:
    > I've got to ask... why are tickets on sale before speakers and schedule a=

    re announced? That just seems really backwards to me.

    Because it's what the market will bear.

    --
    -yossef

    Yossef Mendelssohn, Sep 17, 2010
  7. David A. Black

    Gary Wright Guest

    On Sep 17, 2010, at 1:27 AM, Ryan Davis wrote:
    > On Sep 15, 2010, at 05:27 , David A. Black wrote:
    >=20
    >> Hi all --
    >>=20
    >> More tickets for RubyConf will be going on sale today (thanks to some
    >> space-juggling). We're going to sell them for one week or until we =

    run
    >> out of room, whichever comes first.
    >>=20
    >> Keep an eye on: http://www.rubyconf.org

    >=20
    > I've got to ask... why are tickets on sale before speakers and =

    schedule are announced? That just seems really backwards to me.

    It is also a bit difficult to schedule travel if you don't know the =
    start/end times for the sessions.

    Gary Wright=

    Gary Wright, Sep 17, 2010
  8. Hi --

    On Sat, 18 Sep 2010, Gary Wright wrote:

    > On Sep 17, 2010, at 1:27 AM, Ryan Davis wrote:
    >> On Sep 15, 2010, at 05:27 , David A. Black wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all --
    >>>
    >>> More tickets for RubyConf will be going on sale today (thanks to some
    >>> space-juggling). We're going to sell them for one week or until we run
    >>> out of room, whichever comes first.
    >>>
    >>> Keep an eye on: http://www.rubyconf.org

    >> I've got to ask... why are tickets on sale before speakers and schedule are announced? That just seems really backwards to me.

    > It is also a bit difficult to schedule travel if you don't know the start/end times for the sessions.

    We'll start at 9:00 on Thursday, and end around 4:00 on Saturday. As for
    the ticket sales and schedule and so on, it's just how it played out
    this year. Usually it isn't that way, but I'm not too worried about it
    since at this point it's pretty well-known what kind of program we
    offer, if not the details of every talk. We're well on the way to
    finishing up the schedule.

    David

    --
    David A. Black, Senior Developer, Cyrus Innovation Inc.

    David A. Black, Sep 18, 2010