RubyForge and RubyGems and GemCutter...

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Richard Kilmer, Oct 27, 2009.

  1. Hi all -

    This has been announced in various forums, but we should have sent a
    message here in the initial flurry. To summarize, some major gem
    indexes are going to be consolidated - GemCutter and
    gems.rubyforge.org will move to rubygems.org and form one massive gem
    index. This index will be fronted by Nick Quaranto's excellent
    GemCutter rails app. This app will be running on Ruby Central's
    infrastructure at Rackspace.

    The entire announcement, more details, and a comment thread with some
    discussions here:

    http://update.gemcutter.org/2009/10/26/transition.html

    As part of this transition, RubyForge is going to be slowly stood
    down. It won't simply be turned off, of course; we could see it
    staying in read-only mode for quite a while. But that's where things
    are headed. The community hub functions of RubyForge will not go
    away. Community features that RubyForge uniquely provides (or should
    provide) will be added to the source base of the app that GemCutter
    started with and will be maintained on github.

    This is a change; but it's one that we at Ruby Central feel is
    important. We want to provide the community with what it needs. With
    services that Github, the new SourceForge and Google Code provide we
    feel that source management, mailing lists and bug tracking are being
    better provided by others. We want to focus on community features.
    We will be developing those quickly and that will all hub at RubyGems.org

    Richard Kilmer, Oct 27, 2009

  2. Richard Kilmer

    Intransition Guest

    On Oct 26, 7:27=A0pm, Richard Kilmer <> wrote:
    > As part of this transition, RubyForge is going to be slowly stood =A0
    > down. =A0It won't simply be turned off, of course; we could see it =A0
    > staying in read-only mode for quite a while. =A0But that's where things =

    =A0
    > are headed. =A0The community hub functions of RubyForge will not go =A0
    > away. =A0Community features that RubyForge uniquely provides (or should =

    =A0
    > provide) will be added to the source base of the app thatGemCutter=A0
    > started with and will be maintained on github.
    >
    > This is a change; but it's one that we at Ruby Central feel is =A0
    > important. =A0We want to provide the community with what it needs. =A0Wit=

    h =A0
    > services that Github, the new SourceForge and Google Code provide we =A0
    > feel that source management, mailing lists and bug tracking are being =A0
    > better provided by others. =A0We want to focus on community features. =A0
    > We will be developing those quickly and that will all hub at RubyGems.org

    I'm glad to hear you guys are being proactive about new community
    dynamics.

    I want to thank you and Tom for your hard work and dedication to
    RubyForge. You guys rock.

    ~Trans

    Intransition, Nov 3, 2009

  3. Richard Kilmer

    Roger Pack Guest

    > As part of this transition, RubyForge is going to be slowly stood
    > down. It won't simply be turned off, of course; we could see it
    > staying in read-only mode for quite a while. But that's where things
    > are headed. The community hub functions of RubyForge will not go
    > away. Community features that RubyForge uniquely provides (or should
    > provide) will be added to the source base of the app that GemCutter
    > started with and will be maintained on github.

    My $0.02--rubyforge was good but could easily go away. That being said,
    I do find it useful for file distributing [i.e. I typically know where
    to go to download non gems, like rubygems-1.3.5.tgz], and several people
    still use it for publishing documentation (their own style, their own
    way, not mass produced like allgems.ruby-forum.com or rdoc.info). I
    therefore would move it not be abandoned entirely yet, which is
    apparently already in your plans :)
    Thanks for the good work there and keep it up.
    -r

    Roger Pack, Nov 5, 2009
  4. Richard Kilmer

    Tom Copeland Guest

    On Nov 5, 2009, at 10:48 AM, Roger Pack wrote:

    >> As part of this transition, RubyForge is going to be slowly stood
    >> down. It won't simply be turned off, of course; we could see it
    >> staying in read-only mode for quite a while. But that's where things
    >> are headed. The community hub functions of RubyForge will not go
    >> away. Community features that RubyForge uniquely provides (or should
    >> provide) will be added to the source base of the app that GemCutter
    >> started with and will be maintained on github.

    > My $0.02--rubyforge was good but could easily go away. That being
    > said,
    > I do find it useful for file distributing [i.e. I typically know where
    > to go to download non gems, like rubygems-1.3.5.tgz], and several
    > people
    > still use it for publishing documentation (their own style, their own
    > way, not mass produced like allgems.ruby-forum.com or rdoc.info). I
    > therefore would move it not be abandoned entirely yet, which is
    > apparently already in your plans :)
    > Thanks for the good work there and keep it up.

    Yeah, I think back in 2003 it was worthwhile for Ruby Central to
    sponsor a code-hosting site. At this point the marginal value is
    pretty low. But we'll keep some services around, and hopefully in a
    more useful form.

    Yours,

    Tom

    Tom Copeland, Nov 10, 2009