    Any other solutions?

    Thanks!

    Michael
    Michael Neumann, Apr 21, 2008

  2. Michael Neumann

    Tom Copeland Guest

    On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 16:47 +0900, Michael Neumann wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I noticed that when I upload a new gem to Rubyforge, it takes several
    > hours until I can install it via "gem". If you try within that period
    > you are getting a 404 error (at least here in Germany, maybe the mirror
    > is very slow), which is annoying and leads to all kind of bug reports,
    > and that you have to delay the announcement of a new version for hours.
    >
    > I understand that mirrors are neccessary in this growing Ruby community,
    > but if the index list (the list of available gems) would be fetched from
    > the mirror, the 404 wouldn't happen.
    >
    > Alternatively, a message other than 404 would be helpful to the user
    > that he or she should retry later. Or what about the idea to
    > contact the master rubyforge server, in case of 404?

    Hi Michael -

    Another option is for RubyForge to just serve up gems for the first 24
    hours or so after they're released. Jeremy Kemper did some nice rewrite
    rules for this:

    http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=14803&group_id=5&atid=104

    Just need to get that into place...

    Yours,

    Tom
    Tom Copeland, Apr 24, 2008

  3. Michael Neumann

    Ryan Davis Guest

    On Apr 23, 2008, at 18:47 , Tom Copeland wrote:

    > Another option is for RubyForge to just serve up gems for the first 24
    > hours or so after they're released. Jeremy Kemper did some nice
    > rewrite
    > rules for this:
    >
    > http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=14803&group_id=5&atid=104

    I have a clean and simple 404 handler written in ruby that allows for
    pattern matching and redirection. Such a thing could easily be used by
    the mirrors to throw back at rubyforge.
    Ryan Davis, Apr 25, 2008
  4. Michael Neumann

    Tom Copeland Guest

    On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 08:07 +0900, Ryan Davis wrote:
    > On Apr 23, 2008, at 18:47 , Tom Copeland wrote:
    >
    > > Another option is for RubyForge to just serve up gems for the first 24
    > > hours or so after they're released. Jeremy Kemper did some nice
    > > rewrite
    > > rules for this:
    > >
    > > http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=14803&group_id=5&atid=104

    > I have a clean and simple 404 handler written in ruby that allows for
    > pattern matching and redirection. Such a thing could easily be used by
    > the mirrors to throw back at rubyforge.

    I just added these rewrite rules and wrote some PHP code to populate the
    file that the RewriteMap reads... that should cut the deploy time down
    to the gem index rebuild interval (currently 30 minutes)...

    Yours,

    tom
    Tom Copeland, Jun 27, 2008
  5. Michael Neumann

    fedzor Guest

    On Jun 26, 2008, at 11:26 PM, Tom Copeland wrote:
    > some PHP code

    excuse me?

    what would it take to rewrite the site to be in ruby? How long do you
    think it would take one to do it?

    -------------------------------------------------------|
    ~ Ari
    fedzor, Jun 27, 2008
  6. Michael Neumann

    Tom Copeland Guest

    On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 12:34 +0900, fedzor wrote:
    > On Jun 26, 2008, at 11:26 PM, Tom Copeland wrote:
    > > some PHP code

    > excuse me?
    >
    > what would it take to rewrite the site to be in ruby? How long do you
    > think it would take one to do it?

    Hard to say... it's a decent-size PHP app:

    ============
    $ wc -l `find . -name "*.class"` | grep total
    36384 total
    $ wc -l `find . -name "*.php"` | grep total
    50944 total
    ============

    But a nicely-done Rails app would probably be 1/10th the size...

    Yours,

    tom
    Tom Copeland, Jun 27, 2008
  7. On Fri, Jun 27, 2008, fedzor wrote:
    > excuse me?
    >
    > what would it take to rewrite the site to be in ruby? How long do you think
    > it would take one to do it?

    It's a fork of the code that originally ran SourceForge. It's not a
    small app.

    http://gforge.org/

    It works well enough. The fact that it's not in Ruby doesn't seem like
    a compelling enough reason to change.

    Ben
    Ben Bleything, Jun 27, 2008