Rubyforge RubyGem propagation delay

Michael Neumann

Hi,

I noticed that when I upload a new gem to Rubyforge, it takes several
hours until I can install it via "gem". If you try within that period
you are getting a 404 error (at least here in Germany, maybe the mirror
is very slow), which is annoying and leads to all kind of bug reports,
and that you have to delay the announcement of a new version for hours.

I understand that mirrors are neccessary in this growing Ruby community,
but if the index list (the list of available gems) would be fetched from
the mirror, the 404 wouldn't happen.

Alternatively, a message other than 404 would be helpful to the user
that he or she should retry later. Or what about the idea to
contact the master rubyforge server, in case of 404?

Any other solutions?

Thanks!

Michael

Tom Copeland

Hi,

I noticed that when I upload a new gem to Rubyforge, it takes several
hours until I can install it via "gem". If you try within that period
you are getting a 404 error (at least here in Germany, maybe the mirror
is very slow), which is annoying and leads to all kind of bug reports,
and that you have to delay the announcement of a new version for hours.

I understand that mirrors are neccessary in this growing Ruby community,
but if the index list (the list of available gems) would be fetched from
the mirror, the 404 wouldn't happen.

Alternatively, a message other than 404 would be helpful to the user
that he or she should retry later. Or what about the idea to
contact the master rubyforge server, in case of 404?

Hi Michael -

Another option is for RubyForge to just serve up gems for the first 24
hours or so after they're released. Jeremy Kemper did some nice rewrite
rules for this:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=14803&group_id=5&atid=104

Just need to get that into place...

Yours,

Tom

Tom Copeland

I have a clean and simple 404 handler written in ruby that allows for
pattern matching and redirection. Such a thing could easily be used by
the mirrors to throw back at rubyforge.

I just added these rewrite rules and wrote some PHP code to populate the
file that the RewriteMap reads... that should cut the deploy time down
to the gem index rebuild interval (currently 30 minutes)...

Yours,

tom

fedzor

some PHP code

excuse me?

what would it take to rewrite the site to be in ruby? How long do you
think it would take one to do it?

-------------------------------------------------------|
~ Ari

Tom Copeland

excuse me?

what would it take to rewrite the site to be in ruby? How long do you
think it would take one to do it?

Hard to say... it's a decent-size PHP app:

============
$ wc -l `find . -name "*.class"` | grep total
36384 total
$ wc -l `find . -name "*.php"` | grep total
50944 total
============

But a nicely-done Rails app would probably be 1/10th the size...

Yours,

tom

Ben Bleything

excuse me?

what would it take to rewrite the site to be in ruby? How long do you think
it would take one to do it?

It's a fork of the code that originally ran SourceForge. It's not a
small app.

http://gforge.org/

It works well enough. The fact that it's not in Ruby doesn't seem like
a compelling enough reason to change.

Ben