RubyGarden deletions of RubyWeeklyNews

Tim Sutherland

Just about every week after I post the Ruby Weekly News, someone

1) Reverts the latest news page to "Revision 0".
2) Removes the "next RubyNews" link from the previous page.
3) Reverts the "RubyNews" link on the homepage to point to the previous
week.

They sometimes also change older pages.

The IP of the person who did it this week was 202.135.112.49.

- Is this a bug somewhere or an intentional attack?
- Is this happening to anyone else?
- Can I stop it? (Other than by not using wiki pages for the weekly news,
which is on the cards as soon as I get around to it...)
- Why would someone do such a thing?

Tim Sutherland

Tim Sutherland wrote: said:
The IP of the person who did it this week was 202.135.112.49.
[...]

Hmmm. This IP is possibly from my work, which may mean it's me. (But that
doesn't make sense since I don't edit the RWN from work - however, all the
times that I've "discovered" this problem, I've been at work.)

Does anyone have clues at to what is going on?

Maybe my work address is getting chucked in the honeypot and magical things
are happening?

Tim Sutherland

Tim Sutherland wrote: said:
The IP of the person who did it this week was 202.135.112.49.
[...]

Hmmm. This IP is possibly from my work, which may mean it's me. (But that
doesn't make sense since I don't edit the RWN from work - however, all the
times that I've "discovered" this problem, I've been at work.)

Does anyone have clues at to what is going on?

Maybe my work address is getting chucked in the honeypot and magical things
are happening?

Doh.

I fixed the problem at work, so 202.135.112.49 is the IP that fixed things
up, not the one that caused the problems. By fixing things up by changing to
a different revision, I have lost the IP that was actually causing the
problems.

So I do believe someone has been intentionally messing things up.

PS: Don't drink and post ;-)

Ben Giddings

Tim said:
Hmmm. This IP is possibly from my work, which may mean it's me. (But that
doesn't make sense since I don't edit the RWN from work - however, all the
times that I've "discovered" this problem, I've been at work.)

HE'S INSIDE THE BUILDING!!!

or maybe you're Dr. Jeckyll?

Sorry, I don't know what's happening, and it's too bad it is, but that
was just funny!

Ben

Tim Sutherland

Just about every week after I post the Ruby Weekly News, someone

1) Reverts the latest news page to "Revision 0".
2) Removes the "next RubyNews" link from the previous page.
3) Reverts the "RubyNews" link on the homepage to point to the previous
week.
[...]

Jim Weirich explained that my work address was falling into the tarpit o'
doom.

I'm glad to find out that it wasn't some horrible person following me
around, and also that I'm not insane, just a little unhinged.