Rubygems, FreeBSD, Nitro not all playing together nicely

Jim Crigler

I installed Rails to tinker with on my FreeBSD 4 box. Because of
the waythe FreeBSD port (FBSD's term for installable applications)
of Rails works, rubygesms got installed with it. So far, so good.
I can do all the rails stuff I expect to be able to do, use
tutorials, start prototyping my application, etc.

When I heard about the Nitro and had explored the documentation
(what there is of it), I decided to give it a try. So, because
there is no FreeBSD port for Nitro yet, I entered (as root)

gem install --rdoc -y nitro

and a few minutes later all was set up. However, the paths
or something are not set correctly. As an example, I tried
to start at the very beginning (a very good place to start,
I'm told), with the command

nitrogen app myapp

and I discovered that neither nitro nor nitrogen was not in
my path (the way all the rails paraphenalia was). Okay, it time
to start investigating. So I read up on rubygems in PickAxe 2,
and I discovered that a few settings may be needed. Next
iteration:

ruby -rubygems -e 'require_gem("nitro"); load("nitrogen")' app
myapp

I got several (more than 25) warnings about '&' and '*' being
interpreted in some way (as an operators?) then an error message
(that I don't remember at the moment --- I can post it tonight
if there's a need and no one has the magic bullet for this).

I suspect is the problem is in the way FreeBSD treats gems that
*are* ports vs. gem installation of things that *aren't* ports.
I was hoping someone here might have already blazed the trail
and I just didn't pick up the signs.

James Britt

Jim said:
[...]

I think there are a few issues with the current version (0.24.0) of
Nitro/Og, and 0.25 is being assemble for release. So, before you get
too crazy with looking for causes, you may want to drop by the Nitro
mailing list and see if anyone else has had the same issues and if 0.25
will fix them. (The problem with nitrogen not being found sounds
familiar to me, but I've not used it lately).

http://www.nitrohq.com/
http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/nitro-general/

James Britt

Ara.T.Howard

[...]

the fact that this works, but the above does not, means that the stub has been
squireled away someplace that is not in your path. for instance, you might
have ruby installed as

/usr/local/ruby-1.8.2/bin/ruby

and a link like

/usr/local/bin/ruby -> /usr/local/ruby-1.8.2/bin/ruby

in this case any gem stubs would get installed into

/usr/local/ruby-1.8.2/bin/

which is not in your path. i had this happen on my machine and beleive gems
to determine the path to ruby using Pathname::realpath(`which ruby`).dirname.
i have a patched gems which does this and installs correctly. this might not
be your problem though.
I got several (more than 25) warnings about '&' and '*' being
interpreted in some way (as an operators?) then an error message
(that I don't remember at the moment --- I can post it tonight
if there's a need and no one has the magic bullet for this).

I suspect is the problem is in the way FreeBSD treats gems that
*are* ports vs. gem installation of things that *aren't* ports.
I was hoping someone here might have already blazed the trail
and I just didn't pick up the signs.

this could all be caused by having two versions of ruby.

you should look into whether or not you have two ruby versions installed, what
the difference between your path and root's path are, and if your ruby is a
link.

-a