Rubygems Gemspec question

Dave Burt

Hi,

Can I build a gem that will execute arbitrary ruby code after putting the
files in place?

I am sure such a thing is possible using Gemspec#extensions but it seems to
me that would require making a dummy extension and compiling that at the
same time, with the corollary that it will fail on Windows boxes without
"make".

Cheers,
Dave

Austin Ziegler

Can I build a gem that will execute arbitrary ruby code after putting the
files in place?

No, but a patch has been posted to allow for "extensions" built with
Rake that may allow. I'm not sure I like the idea of arbitrary
commands being executed after installation, but I *would* like the
ability to put a "post-installation message" in my gemspecs that
allows the gem to tell the user what they need to do *next*.

-austin
--=20
Austin Ziegler * (e-mail address removed)
* Alternate: (e-mail address removed)

Dave Burt

Austin said:
No, but a patch has been posted to allow for "extensions" built with
Rake that may allow. I'm not sure I like the idea of arbitrary
commands being executed after installation, but I *would* like the
ability to put a "post-installation message" in my gemspecs that
allows the gem to tell the user what they need to do *next*.

A post-installation message sounds like a good candidate to be another
first-class member of the gemspec. I don't think that's the case for my
goal, registering a DLL.

Also, where can I find info on that patch, please?

Cheers,
Dave