RubyGems Load Error Problem -- Any Ideas?

Anthony Baker (ThinkBigIdeas)

Hey Folks,

Am new to Ruby and Rails and am currently (finally) getting started
following a long install process on OS X 10.3.5.

All I've done so far is to create an empty controller called MyTest
using the following command:

ruby script/generate controller MyTest

Which generated the file my_test_controller.rb in the app/controllers
directory.

This is following the "Rolling with Ruby on Rails" article from Curt
Hibbs at O'Reilly. What I get is the following error and I can't seem
to figure out why this is occurring.

Processing Base#index (for 127.0.0.1 at Tue Feb 08 18:50:02 PST 2005)
Parameters: {"action"=>"index", "controller"=>"MyTest"}

LoadError (No such file to load -- mytest_controller.rb):

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.4.0/lib/
action_controller/support/dependencies.rb:38:in `load'

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.4.0/lib/
action_controller/support/dependencies.rb:38:in `require_or_load'

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.4.0/lib/
action_controller/support/dependencies.rb:46:in `require_or_load'

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.4.0/lib/
action_controller/support/dependencies.rb:46:in `require_or_load'

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-0.9.5/lib/dispatcher.rb:38:in
`dispatch'
/Users/bigo/www/rails/cookbook/public/dispatch.cgi:10

Rendering
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.4.0/lib/
action_controller/templates/rescues/layout.rhtml (500 Internal Error)

If anyone has any pointers or solutions, I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks,

Anthony

smoon

I know that if I did the url:

http://localhost:3000/mytest

Things would blow up, but with the url:

http://localhost:3000/MyTest

everything was fine. I don't fully understand the logic of how
everything works but it appears to be case sensitive.

MyTest will map to my_test_controller.rb and mytest will map to
mytest_controller.rb

Hope that helps. I'm just learning ruby and rails right now myself...

Andre Nathan

Hi Anthony

Anthony Baker said:
ruby script/generate controller MyTest

Which generated the file my_test_controller.rb in the app/controllers
directory.
[snip]

LoadError (No such file to load -- mytest_controller.rb):

I believe the problem is related to your controller name. Rails
creates the controller file using the controller name +
"_controller.rb" as its name. On file creation, it's adding an extra
underscore due to the lowercase-to-uppercase shift in MyTest, but it
doesn't do the same when trying to load the file -- it's trying to
find mytest_controller.rb.

This looks like a bug, although I'm not sure if CamelCase controller
names are supported (I'm guessing they should be). If you do it with a
controller named "Test" it'll probably work.

HTH
Andre

AnthonyBaker

Yay!

Nixing CamelCase works.

Hmm... the MyTest example was one used in the OnLamp article and --
there at least -- it seemed to work. They did their work on Windows,
however.

Anyone know how to get CamelCase working on Rails? It would be a
nice-to-have, though I'm sure including it in URLs might cause grief to
some users who try to type things in by hand...

Thanks, Andre!

/Anthony